on 12 October 2009
This Book starts with the Cake Decorating Basic Techniques and with recipes for sponge, Shortbread and Ginger Biscuits (I loved these biscuits. There are simple Cakes and some that would be tricky if you were a beginner. This covers Simple Cakes, Animals, Transport, Fantasy and Wildlife. Some of the cakes look very professional;

My favourites are `Magical Carousel` I made this cake for my daughter 5th birthday. She and everyone else love it! The 'Big Green Tractor` I made for my brother in laws 40th birthday, it looked fantistic with his own personalised number plate ! 'Fairy Tale Castle' any little princes dreams!
There are Fire Engines, Hot Air Ballons, Jolly Green Dinosaur and Pixie Toadstool.
There is somethink for any age ! Most of the cake are iced with buttercream.

This book is excellent value for money and covers so many cakes. I am really pleased I bought this book.
on 22 May 2009
I love this book and have already made two of the cakes out of it. I'm not an expert at baking but found the recipes really easy to follow and the pictures are well detailed. I have bought similar books in the past and most of the cakes are covered in thick icing that neither of my children like, these recipes use buttercream which is much yummier. Chapters include animals, transport, fantasy, wildlife and simple cakes.
on 19 June 2009
I was delighted to find this book and I can't recommend it enough. Original ideas, well laid out and so user friendly. I know this book is going to get a good workout in my home for many years to come. A real find.
on 14 June 2009
I agree with the other reviewer. I made the fairy castle cake in buttercream and both the cake and icing were enjoyed by all. Although fairly time-consuming it was well worth the bother and not at all difficult (a bigger mixing bowl would have helped!). I cannot wait to try some of the other cakes. I borrowed this book from the library and have decided to actually purchase it because it is much better than other books I have tried in the past.
on 5 February 2015
Love this book. My children love choosing their birthday cakes out of this one and we have made 4 so far and have all turned out great. Also use the basic chocolate cake with the chocolate frosting as a Sunday treat sometimes as is always delicious!
on 11 October 2009
I absolutely love this cake book. I am not a person that's always baking cakes or pastries but I like to make the occasional birthday cake for my kids instead of going to the shops.
Given it is more expensive but it says "I love you" so much better and it feels very fulfilling for a parent to be able to say I made this cake for my child's birthday.
That said I made the the cake on the cover and it turned out Great! The kids and the entire family enjoyed it, friends were amazed I made it. This book is simply fantastic.

P.S (Could not get the cadbury snaps in the grocery so I used normal pringles and it still looked fab!)

11/01/2010 update: I made the Pirate cake for my 5yr olds party...and i'm happy to say it was the highlight of the party!!! Everyone was complementing me on it. Best cake book ever!
on 21 May 2013
I bought this book for the fairy castle recipe, which is excellent, but as I've never iced a cake with buttercream before I felt the book could do with some more detail. It didn't offer any advice on how far in advance I could make the cake or icing; or how to apply the icing (which was a lot trickier than I expected); or the desired consistency of the icing; or how much food colouring to use... basically I had to keep googling things and referring to other cookery books as I went along.
on 3 December 2009
Bought this for my son's 1st birthday as I wanted to bake an impressive cake. It hasn't disappointed. Really easy to use and cakes for all abilities. Lots of choice too. More cakes for girls than boys I think but all in all a great buy and a book I'll use year affter year!
on 2 July 2009
I agree with the other reviewers.... so many other books seem to focus on easy to mould sugar paste, which looks ok and is easy to transport, but it's hardly palatable. This book relies on buttercream and chocolate frosting etc, which is much tastier, esp for little kids.

I like cooking, and do bake, but didn't have much experience in making novelty cakes - this book is so easy to use.. You will love it.. I made the Carousel cake, and although it is fiddly, it looked fabulous, and I was described as a "domestic Goddess" by other admiring mums. Well worth the investment... can't wait to use it again!
on 31 December 2013
A wide range of ideas for different ages and gender. We made the dinosaur for my son's birthday, it was a bit tricky and we thought it was going to collapse at one point but we managed to hold it together and it looked great and he loved it! The cake itself was very light and really tasty.