Customer reviews

Bazaar Style: Decoratiing with Market and Vintage Finds
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 April 2013
A nice book with some inspiring images but terribly misleading if you were looking to source some of the beautiful textiles.

I am a collector and dealer of ethnographic textiles so I couldn't help noticing that Uzbek Suzanis are always called 'Indian throws', the lovely pillows made from blankets are almost certainly Bolivian and not Moroccan, and the kanthas are not from Pakistan, but from India. So many mistakes, you almost wonder if we are being deliberately misled!

And the some of the rooms have a 'thrown together for the camera' look with no signs of really being lived in, as if they have pulled up at an empty house with a load of stuff and just thrown it all together.
on 9 April 2010
Absolutely fab book very creative, lots of hints and tips, and full of wonderful pictures. If you like Vintage, Shabby Chic, Flea Market, Ethenic, Junk Shop etc. etc. style this ones for you well worth every penny and the 5* review its been given. Also bought Easy Elegance another very good book but preferred this one ! Much much better than the Shabby Chic Interiors books which are bland by comparison.
on 8 July 2008
I'm a huge fan of the colourful vintage and bazaar-style look in the home, it makes personal spaces that little bit more original. I love to search charity and second hand shops for the kind of finds featured in this book and I have to say that it is the most inspiring book of it's kind I have ever come across. If you are searching for a few tips, ideas and pointers on how to pull this look off, this book is well worth a purchase.
on 9 February 2009
This book is just beautiful - I am a big fan of Vintage/Flea Market interiors and two of my favourite books to depict this is Emily Chalmers "Flea Market Style" and "Cheap Chic" and now this book is definitely added to that list!! It is beautifully photographed and every page has a fantastic, colourful inspiring image to set those 'vintage lovers' hearts racing! Every time I look at it I seem to find a new image that I hadn't previously seen. Fabulous!
on 3 March 2009
I love collecting colourful objects and furniture from different times and places, quirky stuff that doesn't seem to fit together yet somehow does. I love the fact that my house, after years of collecting, travelling and rummaging, reflects me and not the IKEA catalogue.

This book is really inspirational, with gorgeous colour pictures and unexpected ways to re-use furniture and other bits and pieces you might have gathered over the years.
on 26 March 2011
If like me you are a mad collector of all things wacky, beautiful or sentimental but just end up with your house looking like a non-stop, badly organised jumble sale, this book will give you inspiring and practical ideas on how to group and display items in an artistic and pleasing manner. The illustrations are sumptious and the room sets have been photographed in ordinary sized houses, not huge country mansions, so as to ensure those of us who aspire to country house style but only have limited space have a fair crack at the whip. Even if you are a minimalist at heart, this book will afford you an indulgent glimpse into the colourful, bohemian lifestyle you know you really want!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 February 2012
At first I loved this book; such clean fresh colours, such light. Then I began to realise it is like one of those Christmas toys that comes in a huge colourful box , but when you unwrap it . . . well, it doesn't DO much, and it won't amuse you for long. A lot of the mosr attractive visual stuff isn't interiors at all, it's the shots of fleamarkets and so on. And I began to wonder. In what sense is Selina Lake - as listed on the page, "author". After all, "words" are by Joanna Simmons, and photos by Debi Treloar. Even if Selina Lake was just talking into a dictaphone, for a ghost-writer to tidy up and punctuate, "words" would be by Selina Lake. Did Lake stand behind the camera, saying "just get that bit there, and I want it to look bathed in light"? Or did Treloar take zillions of shots, and Lake say "we'll use those"? Are all these interiors by Selina Lake? Did she design them all from scratch, or just turn up at a friend's house with a van full of accessories and the photographer? Look at the credits page and you'll find all sorts of other people involved in the production of these books; what did THEY do?

A high proportion of the interiors books published today seem to form a set of clones. In fact, the same interiors - sometimes even the same photographs - turn up in several different books. In the successful Emily Chalmers books, (are Selina Lake and Emily Chalmers even two different people?) the same format is followed. The texts describe the photographs, and re-issue a few vague platitudes, making you wonder just how much contact there is between the people whose names appear on the covers. After a while, these books all turn into a blur. Are we being sold a sort of "product" - basically a set of nice photos made into the book by the addition of a designer's name and a few paragraphs of padding? I am beginning to wonder, and will be more careful about parting with my money in future. I have vintage books on interiors from the 80s and 90s, and they don't suffer from these drawbacks.
on 21 February 2011
Nice picture on the cover, some nice photo's inside, but that's it - no real substance at all. This has gone straight back.
on 28 May 2011
This really is a pretty book. But, like the reviewer who felt it had no substance, I do feel that the writing is at the 'glossy magazine' level rather than an in-depth study of what makes Bazaar Style. I certainly wouldn't return the book, as the other reader did, but,sadly, it isn't top on my list for a re-read.
on 2 October 2014
Above rating is for the seller and service which was excellent. The book itself is nice, with some lovely images, but not much to really help achieve a similar style. Good coffee table book