on 30 September 2008
A brilliant recent book full of beautiful photographs of french style interiors. Each chapter covers a basic tenet of the elements of french style..and yes, you have the usual, from paint colours to fabrics and furniture, BUT! what sets this apart, I feel, is the really up-to-the-minute feel of the interiors. Some books on french style are rather dated and their photos look as if they've been dragged out of some ancient archive. This one is different. There is a particular thread of style that runs through the book which I expect is specific to it's author Josephine Ryan. I believe she may have styled some of these photographs, and that is why they feel unique compared to the usual fare. She manages to avoid the cliches inherent in your average interiors book, but without losing any of the allure that makes something peculiarly french. Her style is quite spare, incredibly tasteful and very inspiring. Personally, I feel this is the best interiors book I own and I have a lot!
on 7 June 2010
This book was exactly what I was looking for. Josephine is passionate about authenticity in her approach to recreating the French look. This book focuses on the details you need to put together to recreate that genuine look in your house and you can tell she knows what she's talking about. She breaks down the look into its constituents and so allows the newcomer to discover the key to recreating it. The only thing is, the pictures are so beautiful, you just wish the book went on and on! This book is for people who don't merely want to buy an 'off the shelf' French look. It's about adopting the French way of thinking about objects in your home. You can definitely use the ideas in this book whatever budget you're on.
on 1 March 2012
I have always had a passion for French homes and interiors and now spend as much time as I can in France working on our own village house that we have been slowly renovating.
My original ideas for creating a French home, based on my impressions of French style, have changed since I spent time in France and had the opportunity to visit real French homes.
Josephine Ryan and her collaborators have managed to steer away from the frills, cliches and hyperbole that often accompany other French style books and a feel and passion for real French interiors shines out on every page.

Not so much a coffee table decoration, but more of a valuable sourcebook for ideas & impressions of real French style.

The spirit of France distilled
on 11 March 2009
This is a lovely coffee table book to dip in and out of once in a while. It provided me with inspiration, but mainly envy for the house I want one day. It would make a nice gift either to yourself, mother or girlfriend.
on 21 July 2011
This is a very good inspirational book full of good ideas based on the French home which has always interested me greatly.

I particularly like this book because my boyfriend has a property in France where we spend quality time....and I always find that there is something to do with regards to interior design within the house. This publication not only has wonderful interior shots of rooms but also gives us ideas for creating our own individual design, which is all about personal tastes which include collections of furniture and fabrics.
This book is divided into sections dealing with different aspects from basic elements to individual rooms, which is most helpful.

The French have always had, in my opinion, a great sense of style.......love looking at this book time and time again and never tire of flicking through the pages.
This is one for the coffee table, and would make a great gift too!!
on 29 December 2012
I bought this for my daughter(24) as a guide to how she can decorate her flat. I looked at it and loved it and I hope that she will too. Full of lovely photographs and good ideas and finishing touches showing that you don't always have to shop on the High Street.
on 27 September 2010
From the moment I received the book in the post, it didn't disappoint. Pages full of inspirational photographs and useful information on how to put together your own French look. I have a few French decor books and this is my favourite. It covers everything I want to know without any fussiness. A list of antique stores and markets to visit both here in England and France is very useful and I've already browsed a few websites looking for that special decor piece! This is a great book, whether just for the coffee table or if you are serious about getting that unique French look at home! I'm so inspired I'm already planning my visit to the market in Lille!
on 14 February 2009
A surprising little book with so many fantastic photos, tips and ideas to creat great homes.
on 29 June 2013
A very nice notebook to keep in a handbag. Attractive cover with elastic binder. A useful item for those of us who keep needing to write things down.
on 21 January 2017
typical book with pics of rooms as far as i can recall. some books are still unpacked from last move so i can't remember what i thought