on 7 May 2010
Open a bottle of red, imagine you are in sunny Spain & relax with this book.
Lured by the title and cover picture I thought this book might be a bit of worthwhile light reading - and it didn't disappoint. Lots of funny stories of dogs, cats and Spanish life, not to mention a trip to London. A tale (or is it tail?)of following a dream and making the most of it when you get there, as well has helping a lot of dogs and cats in the process. Certainly a book to make you feel good about life and put a smile on your face, but it should carry a warning - having read it those of us with four legged friends could be tempted to adopt rather more animals than we planned to!!
on 7 May 2010
This is a lovely, lovely book. Bursting at the seams with funny anecdotes about the life Jackie and Stephen Todd have created for themselves. The warmth of Jackie's personality shines through as she describes their madcap life style based around the Spanish people and animals who populate this wonderful tale of life in Andalucia. I recommend this read to anyone who loves animals - but also to anyone who loves life and dreams of 'a great escape'.
on 29 April 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming book. Jackie has a great sense of humour; so I did lots of laughing whilst reading it, but contrastingly she had me in tears in places.She displays a warm, authentic feel of the Spanish life, and her unstinting love and devotion to the animals is extremely refreshing. I would thoroughly recommend this book to everyone.
on 3 June 2010
Enjoyed this book. Light, but an interesting slant on a couple who appear to have integrated well into their local Spanish village. Glad to know they are speaking the language and joining in the local customs and way of life. their love of animals shines through this book and am glad they seem to have the funds to be able to support them all. I would like to have a sequel of what happens to them farther on down the track.
on 27 April 2010
After reading a review in the paper I ordered 'pre-delivery' and so my anticipation was lessened in the wait. I can, however, state it is a jolly good read if one admires those who up sticks and follow their dreams and particuarly if dogs feature in one's life. I enjoyed this book and especially as the price Amazon charge included postage....saving me a visit to the shops. I shall certainly be ordering future titles via Amazon.
on 17 June 2010
Any animal-lover who has holidayed in Spain will have had their heart strings pulled by the sight of stray cats and abandoned dogs. This warm, funny and
entertaining book tells the story of an English couple who settle in a Spanish
village and end up adopting a growing family of lovable strays, whose personalities are lovingly evoked. Highly recommended.
on 3 September 2014
A wonderful story of life in Andalucía which is beautifully written with great bits of humour throughout but also tinged with the sadness that comes with living in a country where animals are so often neglected and abandoned. An excellent read especially if you have lived in Spain.
on 11 August 2014
I've just finished this lovely biography by Jackie Todd. I really enjoyed each story of how the couple came to fall in love with Spain, the Andalucian people and the many cats and dogs that found their way into their home. With the amount of cruelty and neglect of animals found everywhere in the world, it is heartwarming to hear of a real life couple who have devoted their retirement to the well-being of their feline and canine friends.
I was also delighted to see that the homes they worked hard to renovate are available to rent as holiday homes and are dog friendly! What a find! Now to convince my family we need a holiday in Spain...
on 7 November 2011
I cannot praise this book highly enough it is a fantastic read and i couldn't put it down. Being an animal lover I chose it because of the title, but it is more that a book about dogs, it is funny, sad, believable and very well written. It is the life I would love if I had the money! This couple cone across as very genuine and kind people and I would love to meet them and their menagerie. I just hope further books about their ongoing life in Spain will follow.
on 22 September 2010
This is a real enchanting book. I started reading it on holiday, havent finished it yet as I don't sit reading for hours on end, but its such a nice story and so down to earth, you can actually feel you are living the true life story the author is telling you. If you like Spain (rural Spain especially) and you like dogs, then this is the book for you! Photographs inside too.