Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 16 April 2015
I had high hopes for this book from the start as I quite liked the author's style of writing and it seemed quite funny and conversational but it was highly disappointing and I will tell you why. Ms Edwards says she is a feminist which is a cause I am sympathetic with and strongly believe in true equality-however she comes accross as a priveliged moaner who has hijacked the title of feminist to play the victim despite all the facts to the contrary.
For example she accuses a Female headhunter who will not put forward her part time application for a full time job as "betraying the sisterhood" (that term in itself is offensive as it suggests women should look after each other thereby discriminating against non-women) and she goes on to say that not allowing her to work part time is "perpetuating patriachal and restrictive definition of work which conforms to male structure and convention of work which makes women miserable. Must we be unhappy inhabitants of a man's world?" My God! What does this have to do with being a woman? Does she think a man would have got a different response? Does she think men love workng in mind numbing jobs full time and it's a trick we play on Women knowing they won't like it. Clearly utter nonsense and blaming 'men' for an unfortunate fact of life which affects men just as much if not more than women is laughable.
In an interview she say's she wants to work part time and is asked if she has kids. What I would take for this is that special dispensation will be made for a workng woman with children-a good thing. Not for our poor heroine, her response is that her desire to work part time makes her "feel like a modern day suffragette" and she goes on to ring her friend Emma to"complain about the injustice thrust upon childless Women" and she suggests "we medicate with cocktails and a beach holiday". Many suffragettes will be spinning in their graves.
Add to all this the fact she complains women must work harder to achieve anthing despite the fact she is very successful and paid a fortune, then when she decides she hates her job and doesn't do any work and is apathetic at meetings she gets praise and a promotion, and then complains that this makes her feel undervalued!!
This person should not be anybody's role model unless they want to be a sanctimonious moaning victim. On the plus side parts of it did make me laugh, a bit.
on 21 April 2009
I decided to buy this after reading the review in Heat magazine and as soon as it arrived I practically devoured it, finishing it in a day (it's a fairly slim book). While reading I started to wonder about the author's nationality as a couple of things made me think she wasn't from the UK, but having watched the video I now know she lives in Australia! This is interesting as I have always thought of Australia as a kind of utopia where no-one could possibly be unhappy about anything, now I realise that people there have the same kind of crises (or thrises) as us. I definitely identified with the author's "thrisis", having had the exactly the same experience of waking up not wanting to go to work ever again. The first page of the book made me laugh out loud, which doesn't happen very often. I found it in parts hilarious, informative and thought-provoking. The author had obviously done her research. I wished it was longer as I was disappointed to come to the end, but the last chapter was useful. I seemed to have read most of the books in the bibliography already, obviously having been pondering the 30 something and over it question for some time! If you are going through anything like this it is a useful and funny book to add to your collection and to make you realise "oh, so it's not just me that feels like that!"
on 4 August 2011
Like the other reviewers I read this book in just a couple of evenings. It is very entertaining and easy to read and I enjoyed her lighter style of writing. It wasn't a particulary in-depth or revealing book but it did sucessfully put into words the feelings that I have had over the last couple of years and the journey that I have been through myself. For me the most interesting bit about the book was the differences between the sexes - I have never been able to understand why my husband doesn't complain about his work when he obviously doesn't enjoy it!

I have subsequently lent the book to friends and I would advise 30 somethings to buy and read it.
on 20 April 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book it does not have "the answer" but at least i now know that there are others out there who are "over it" - am a full time working mother 28 years of age and am seriously "over it" but reading this booking has re-energised me... am glad i discovered it.
on 11 September 2013
A quick read, totally on the money and great conclusions at the end. Worth every penny. Also worth reading some of Martha Beck's essays as a compliment to thinking around how you can use trial and error to make quite dramatic changes in how you feel about your life.
on 9 August 2014
NO MONEY .NO WISDOM .NO LIFE EXPERIENCE ARE ALL TRAITS OF 30SOMTHINGS OF COURSE NO BK CAN PUT U ON THE RIGHT COURSE U JUST HAVE TO LEARN FRM LIFE.!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2013
I have to start this review with the word WOW ! and when I say WOW I really do mean it ! finally a book about finding out who you are, and what you want from your life and from your career , forget all your other self help books that just list ways of being happy and how to change things .. this is laugh out loud , down right honest, funny and a book we can all relate too .. lol I spent most of the book in stitches apart from one or two places that made me cry but also felt I could truly connect and empathise with those in the book. this book sums up situations thoughts and feelings beautifully there really is nothing else that needs to be said ! a perfect
book ! I have to congratulate Kasey on a brilliant book she is a fantastic author ! as I said you can forget all your other self help books all you really need is this one read it and you will indeed agree that we can all see a little of ourselves within the pages of this book ! amazing five stars for this hope to read more Kasey Edwards books in the near future - she deserves to be a star ! good for her xx
on 29 July 2009
I bought this book last month despite the fact that it had a 'chick lit' cover. Kasey absolutely hits the nail on the head with this book. I was starting to think I was going a bit mad at work - losing my ambition and drive and wondering what else is out there and am I the only one feeling lost. This book is funny but true and Kasey has done some serious research. Best bit for me was the stuff about 'lilypads' - you don't have to know what the next 5 years look like, you just have to take the next step - jump to the next lilypad. Would highly recommend this book to anyone out there who is wondering if there is more to life.
on 11 May 2009
I felt compelled to write this review about 30-Something and Over It. It was given to me as a gift and I was a bit reluctant to read it because I thought it was some sort of self help book. How very wrong I was. I have never read something that made so much sense to me. It sums up exactly my jaded feelings about corporate culture and this nagging feeling that there must be more to life. I couldn't put it down. This book is really terrific, inspiring and a sensitive insight into a difficult point in life. All combined with a clever, funny and readable writing style. I very much look forward to her next book.
on 27 March 2014
I have been reading a lot of self help books recently (time management, dealing with clutter, understanding myself etc) and after coming across this book (and the helpful reviews) I purchased this. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this book as it struck so many cords with me. It can seem like you are the only one going through what my partner refers to as 'first world problems', but they are your problems nonetheless. Recommended to those who have lost their way or trying to find their mojo again. Very easy read and well researched by the author.