on 28 May 2014
This is the best investment I have ever made in that it has genuinely transformed my working life. It has revolutionised the way I think about what happens in my classroom and how I plan and teach my lessons. I was drowning under my colossal workload until I read this and realised that so much of what I was doing was completely unnecessary and wasn't really helping my students, either. There are a lot of teachers out there who are quick to dismiss all new ideas and approaches and claim they 'wouldn't work' for them, and those are the type who would give this book 1 star. For those of us with an open mind and a desire to change, this is all you need to give you a fresh start and a new lease of life in the classroom. And, for all the English teachers reading - Jim Smith's tips on cutting down on marking are actually practical and achievable, especially when it comes to the dreaded KS3 exercise books. Honestly, if you only ever buy one teaching related book, this has to be it. This is not about jazzing up lessons for observations - it's about changing the way in which you approach teaching to bring about long term benefits for both you and your students. This should be the textbook for teacher training courses - if all teachers taught like this, maybe there would be more left in the profession!
on 25 September 2010
What a great book - but not at all what the main title suggests. The sub-title is what its REALLY about. Teaching (ie talking) less so that they learn more. My pupils are SO much more energised - once they got used to having to think about what they needed to do. The section on 'lazy' tutoring is useful too - my form have really enjoyed doing some of the activities suggested.
on 14 April 2010
A truly inspirational book for anyone who loves learning - this should be a teacher's bible, compulsory on every ITET Course in the country. Thank you Jim for giving an honest, motivational and fascinating book to the world of education. Jim's book is far from Lazy - it's pure magic that will revolutionize ANY classroom or school. Dare you to read it......I did and LOVED IT. If you like this book try these too......Rocket Up Your Class!: 101 High Impact Activities to Start, Break and End Lessons (Independent Thinking Series)The Little Book of Music for the Classroom (Independent Thinking Series) Using Music to Improve Memory, Motivation, Learning and CreativityThe Competency Curriculum Tookit: A Competency Curriculum Tookit Implementing the PLTS at KS3 (Developing Plts Through Themed)The Little Book of Values: Educating Children to Become Thinking, Responsible and Caring Citizens (Independent Thinking Series)The Little Book of Big Stuff about the Brain:: The True Story of Your Amazing Brain (Independent Thinking Series)
on 16 April 2010
This great book provides practical advice and assistance to help improve your pupils ability to learn independently.

As a PGCE student this is a key challenge for me as my tutors really emphasise independent learning.

I am using the Lazy Lesson structure as the basis for all my lessons and it is making planning a whole lot easier.

This book has aided my progression over the last few weeks and has provided real guidance for me as a hopeful new teacher.
on 9 March 2010
Truly, this is a breath of fresh air. For so long, excellent teachers have ended each day on their knees, whilst their students skip merrily out of school, still bursting with energy. Teachers continue to exhaust themselves in their efforts to 'cover all bases'; plan for all possible (and impossible) eventualities and make sure that their students depart with their heads full of stuff. Jim Smith's book gives permission to teachers to step back and delight in the opportunities for learning that they create. This book provides a practical, real and valuable set of tried and tested approaches that allow teachers to let the learning flow from and with the students.
on 14 January 2011
Even with 18 years of teaching experience this book is a true inspiration! Reminded me of many things done in the past and forgotten and lots of new ideas too!

Totally recommended.
on 12 March 2010
This is an easy-to-read book for the busy teachers Jim is trying to help.
He keeps the focus succinct and relevant, whilst using amusing cartoons to brighten the book. The term `Lazy' may attract many or dissuade some, and perhaps "Maximum Effect - Minimum Effort" is a better description since he is really concentrating on getting the students to learn effectively, whilst maintaining the "Well Being" of the teacher - a major concern in secondary schools. A quick poll of our GTP students indicates that this could fill an important niche in the market and I would also encourage secondary schools to have this in their staff CPD library.
on 10 March 2010
If you've seen Jim Smith deliver INSET training then you'll know that he is anything but lazy; he's just thoroughly focused on energising students without causing teacher burnout.

I'm relieved to see that his book is equally passionate about empowering students. It's refreshing to read practical challenges and advice from a practitioner who is clearly still experiencing the daily workout of life in the classroom. Vigorous, tested thinking, so no need to beat yourself up giving students centre stage.
on 13 January 2015
I read this book when I first qualified, I would strongly recommend this to teachers who are newly qualified. This is as short read and you can start anywhere in the book as the book tackles a number of subjects. Good examples of activities are included however I felt that some ideals were not realistic. I would not pay more than £7-8 for this.
on 16 April 2010
This handbook is ten times better than the best INSET you've ever had........

Finally, a book that is rammed full of amazing tips and hints on how to secure outstanding LEARNING and teaching consistently, without having to work to the bone. I'm currently in my second year of teaching and have found this book to be an incredible time saver for me - I used to spend hours on end planning lessons for my NQT year, but now I can utilise the students to be responsible for their own learning. You can literally open this book on any page and there will be a practical suggestion for either group work, independent work, presentations, debates..... the list is endless, and whatsmore, you are left full of energy for that Sunday afternoon that you used to spend planning! Time to blow the cobwebs off the bikes!!

An awesome book, written by someone who clearly understands the demands of the job outside of the classroom, but yet wants the very best for his students. Well done Mr Smith and I look forward to the next handbook!!