on 15 June 2012
I finished this book in a little over a day and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You do not need to be a biker to enjoy this book. So well written and humerous ("You can be my wing man anytime"), love it.

My only disapointment was that the author did not travel further so there would be more book to read.

Another added bonus is the book is really well illustrated. You really do feel like you were riding along side the author, experiencing the trials and tribulations along the way.

Highly recommended.
on 28 May 2015
This is an unusual book. In fact, 'book' isn't really a fair description. It's more like a photographic diary of one mans month long trip to Italy and back after being made redundant. Its 140 pages and you can read the whole thing in an afternoon. I know that sounds a bit blunt and you probably think that I'm going to be cruel about it, but you're way off the mark. This is a charming little book filled with some nice touches and some half decent photos. Deep down we would all love to pack up our stuff and just bugger off for a month, living each day as it comes and this is just what Kevin Turner did. Not an original idea by any means, but still an enjoyable read. www.haplessbiker.com
on 31 July 2012
Just finished reading this book and whilst I haven't read many travel books it knocks the socks off anything Bill Bryson has done.

I've only travelled a bit and the closest I've come to a motorbike is nearly being run over by one when I was young but the author is adept is explaining things in laymans terms so you don't get lost/bored with technical details of either bikes/motorsport or Europe/travel.

He has a superb writing style with great, short, snappy paragraphs and the book is littered with funny anecdotes which really put you in the picture and which you can relate to. His passion for motorsport and travel really shines though but (as I've mentioned above) you don't need to be overly knowledgale in either to follow this great road trip.

This was recommended to me and I would recommend this to you also.

A real page Turner !
on 10 February 2014
A young man's journal of his month long holiday from the UK to continental Europe aboard his Suzuki 650.
Despite my enthusiasm for books and travels of this nature I was disappointed with Kevin's account of his unremarkable trip. Much of the writing is research blurb about places visited, it feels like padding to bulk up the word count to make it worthy of a book as opposed to an article. I found the quantity of racing information about tracks rather tedious. A spirited attempt to describe the joys of motorcycling was clinical in the extreme.
Binding is poor quality so the book will not hold together long; and arguably will not need to.
on 10 July 2013
I have a sneaking suspicion all these 4/5 star reviewers who paint an amazing picture of how hilarious this book is, are actually relatives/friends/publishers of the author Kevin Turner.

I am also convinced Kevin Turner's a genius. He managed to ride through France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium and avoided talking to ANYONE (excluding a girl named Nina who he already knows) - an introvert at his finest. People create drama and emotion. If you don't meet anyone, you're writing a dead book - which is what happened here.

A lack of drama creates a lack of pages. Kevin Turner bulked 'Bonjour! Is this Italy?' up with the usual methods. Big pictures to cover up at least half a page on almost every page and the worst of all, road directions. Not casual road directions, extremely specific road directions. This is a direct quote from the book, "[...] turn right and follow the road for about a kilometre until you reach the above-mentioned T-junction. This time, turn right and almost immediately you'll come to another T-junction where you'll turn left (go right for the famous petrol station that sells all manner of 'Ring memorabilia, including pasta!). Having turned left onto the main road, follow it for about three quarters of a mile (1.2km) before taking the first exit on the left (signposted Hohe Acht - if you're staying at the Berghotel you'll be going this way anyway). After about half a mile (0.8km), pull on to the unpaved car park on your right and [...]". There's so much ridiculously specific road directions in this book you won't even need to bother taking a Europe road atlas with you on holiday. Just take this.

I've given one star because the book description/blurb tries to describe this book as some kind of whacky, fuelled adventure involving loads of crazy situations. All of which aren't in 'Bonjour! Is this Italy? - A Hapless Biker's Guide to Europe'.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2015
on 29 July 2015
A good easy to read book, well written if not without flaws.Personal pics too which give the book a bit more gravitas.(Why though the pic of Rich and Tracey but no mention of them in the book?) The book should be called "A hapless bikers tale" rather than 'guide' to Europe as guide it is not. The author much likes motor racing which is fine, but why not include the Moto Guzzi or Ducati factory whilst in Northern Italy - after it is motorcycle trip. Overall though an enjoyable book which I would recommend to others and might even end up doing some of the routes myself .
on 7 January 2013
Great! no real planning, no back up team, no big adventure bike, no sat-nav, just a guy on tour with his everyday bike...and it's the same bike as mine! Well written, engaging and shows us all that we can just get up and do it.
on 23 September 2012
Fab book! I borrowed this off my hubby on holiday, as a last resort, with nothing left to read. I love travel but have no interest in motorbikes. Would definately reccomend even to non bikers! If your fed up of pretentious travel literature this is the book for you. It had me hooked; it is a refreshingly honest, witty, account that has you wanting to grab a motorbike & a ferry ticket. It flits between Kevins journey & his very amusing anecdotes, keeping the reader interested. His description of childhood Grand Prix adventures & pilgrimage to the Ferrari garage had me transfixed which is pretty impressive considering I have very little interest in motorsport. Hope there's a sequel!
on 6 March 2013
I have read many books of bike trips covering all the globe but not many have covered Europe as this one does. I would have been happier with a little more text for my money even if it was at the expense of some of the photographs, but it was still an enjoyable read with some good ideas for a trip. If you are planning a trip into Europe and want some ideas for where to go and what to see you could do worse than read this first.