on 13 March 2017
Arrived swiftly. brother was very pleased
on 7 July 2015
Was perfect quality, and 6 days before estimated delivery!
on 1 April 2015
Beautifully done, really brought me back to my childhood!
on 10 May 2013
What could be better, i ask you?
The original elsewords tale really is the best. Both comics collected here are great workings for the writers and the artists and are absolutely thrilling to read, even when you've heard the spoilers!
Personally, i think this s my fave elseworlds batman, and i've read them all (and theyre all good.) His suit and gadgets are simpler but better, his training and preparation is shown to be taught by some of the world's greatest minds at the time and his dedication to justice over revenge is challenged in this volume.
Also, this bruce manages to find someone who is able to love him and his batman duties, which is something we've not really seen before and i was happy about.
Old-school detective work and manipulation of victorian fear of the eccentric are used to great effect in this book and i loved every panel.
on 25 November 2015
The question posed by this collection of two stories is "What would Batman have been like in the 19th Century?" Together, the stories explore that concept in an interesting way, though ultimately the book is more novelty than anything else.

The first story, Gotham by Gaslight, is easily the most accomplished of the two, though the conclusion is signposted better than your average international airport. Master of the Future has a lighter, funner tone and explores more of the Batman mythos, but it hurries through its narrative a little too quickly for my liking.

Overall, these stories were an interesting experiment and worth a read by Batman and DC fans for the historical importance of Gotham by Gaslight if nothing else. However, I couldn't recommend these to more casual readers.
on 18 November 2015
I was really looking forward to reading this book, I haven't came across a bad review anywhere. It was worth reading and adding to my collection but in my opinion this comes no where close to the batman works of Jeph Lobe / Tim Sale, Frank miller, Alan Moore or even the new 52 collections such as batman, suicide squad or Tony S. Daniel's detective comics. The positives the book offers is simply that its different. It seems to appear in most batman fans top 20 books, it certainly wouldn't make my top 40. It is popular and well received by most fans so it might just not have been to my taste.
on 9 September 2014
A beautifully written, old style remake of our fabled caped crusader. The comic references some of batman's most feared villains , but illustrated and written in a way that allows a bit of a twist to be placed on them without distracting from their origins and style.
In my opinion Batman: Gotham by Gaslight is a fantastic read for both the most hard core of the Caped Crusader and for those who are just discovering his shrouded legacy.
on 12 July 2013
Bought this for a present for my husband. I was disappointed as I expected a bit more especially as it cost over £30!
on 3 February 2015
exalent service AAA +++
on 30 August 2015
I feel slightly disloyal writing this review. I am a huge Batman fan and an even bigger Mike Mignola fan and I was really, really looking forward to reading this.

The first story is good and I love the artwork but it is not great. It, like the second story, has so much potential that is just missed or wasted. To me it felt like this was a draft pitch of a story rather than the fully developed vision.

I would love to see somebody have another go at this but make it a longer book with more development of the story, themes and characters.