on 9 July 2017
I bought this book because a victim in one of the cases was a relative of mine. The blurb states that the cases are "investigated and told by a modern crime historian", so I expected that the author would have researched the cases (perhaps beyond the facts reported in the newspapers of the time, which I had already discovered some years ago) and therefore, I hoped that I might gain some new knowledge about the case...

However, not only was I disappointed to discover that there was no additional information (in fact I had already found more detail myself, perhaps missed by the author, by sourcing several different reports of the event); but it was even more upsetting to discover that some of the included facts were reported inaccurately!

Not only has she misreported the assailant's name (and his age) which is surely a principal feature of the account, but of equal importance, the author specifies the wrong date! She mistakenly records the incident as having happened in 1916 in both the title(!!!) and by repeated implication within the chapter, as she sets the scene (a year late) when the event actually took place in 1915. How she managed to get this leading fact so blatantly wrong is completely beyond me ... especially since she even cites the date of her (1915) newspaper report in the second paragraph! Therefore, even without the original sources to hand, it is just so obviously incorrect... Surely this glaring error should have been spotted and corrected during any proof reading?

Does it really matter? Yes it does, for two reasons:
Firstly, on a point of principle. Because it's now out there, in print, it could therefore technically be used as a source for research by others and thus, these inaccuracies could multiply and continue into the future.
Secondly, the genre: this is not fiction. It is a factual book, and should contain accurate historical evidence.

In conclusion: I like the idea behind this book, but it's a great shame that the facts have not been checked thoroughly before printing. I am left wondering how accurate any of the other information in it is.
on 30 September 2017
Well written book with crimes that are mostly u heard of. Short but very well told with just enough detail without bogging you down
on 6 June 2017
Very good read, really interesting I would definitely recommend it
on 30 August 2017
A VERY GOOD READ
on 5 June 2016
Very well written book. The author really brings the characters to life in each of the tragic stories in the book. If you like true crime books, you'll love this. Perfect for taking on your summer holidays.
on 18 February 2014
i cant believe how many murders took place in rotherham, was it something in the drinking water. bought this out of curiosity really.
on 1 March 2014
I happened upon this book while browsing, & was most interested to read about the shady underbelly of the streets I worked among for many years. I imagined the past to be a much more civilised place with regard to violence & social problems. Not so! Margaret Drinkall shatters these mistaken beliefs with her interesting account of dark deeds, murder & mayhem in our not so peaceful past. I found many more similar books covering almost the entire country, with more tawdry tales of foul felony! The Penny Dreadful lives on! I intend to make room for them on my kindle.
on 5 September 2014
Being born and bred in Rotherham I was drawn to this book. I enjoy murder mystery stories and settled down to enjoy an hours read. On the whole this is a good book though I would have preferred longer stories with a little more detail. I enjoyed it though and reccommend it to anyone wanting an easy book to slip in and out of
on 13 September 2014
I read this book while on holiday and couldn't put it down I live near most of these places and was totally enthralled. How times have changed and for the better some of these cases are heartbreaker and would have a different outcome nowadays. I would highly recommend this book
on 22 September 2014
I was drawn to this book as a distant relative features in it - one of the post natal depression cases - I enjoyed reading all the different cases put forward and would recommend it for any local historian.