on 3 July 2015
I like it - I think - or do I love it? Or do I hate it? Can't really say....not at all what I was expecting - bought it to try and understand more about my mother's life - expected a life story or novel and it's not - it's real peoples' quotes used to pad out and explain history - at first found it tediuous and annoying and resented obvious editing but later on relazed and entered into style of book and actually got hooked on it by end and found it v insightful....so advice - stick with it long enough to be fair with it, get used to message and to writing style and enjoy it for the snippets of stories and enjoy it - not maybe a story per se but certainly worth reading, especially if interested in family history - would I have bought it had I known? Probably not - do I regret buying it now - no - and atually one of few books that I've kept afterwards - now stored in family history section as a future resource so on that basis, yeh, I'd recommend....Squirrel 59 - 3.7.15
on 1 May 2013
An excellent book on the second world war as seen through the eyes of the children who lived throughout the experience, the resilience of most of the children was amazing faced with the horrors of war.
on 4 November 2015
Great book
on 5 May 2005
This book really captures the emotions and feelings of such an important time in history. Really good reading and done with a real flare.