on 17 August 2014
I've given one star although it ought to be at least minus one!
To date I've had major problems with the only two recipies that I've tried in the baking section - to put it simply neither work.
Firstly the Soda Bread where the quantity of buttermilk shown falls at least a third short of the amount required to produce a dough that can be handled. Whilst I managed to salvage something it was not without a cost to my temper.
My next attempt was short crust pastry and here I ended up with a "thick batter" and not a workable pastry dough. I tried to salvage things by adding a lot more flour and managed a workable mix that finally disappointed by being so "short" that it seemed like moulded dry flour.
Comparing Ms Beckermans ingredients with others seems to indicate that a minimum of 360ml of buttermilk was necessary in the soda bread (not 240ml as shown) and that using sunflower oil in the pastry would never work as it will effectively coat the flour and prevent water absorption. I'm also convinced that the teaspoon of gum is probably necessary.
My challenge to the author is to come and show me that both work!
9 people found this helpful
on 4 May 2018
Hi, I first bought this book in Slovenia and I really like some recipes. I soon noticed that some of them don't work- something was wrong with solid vs liquid ingredients ratio. Then I looked inside the book offered by Amazon and found out that book had cups instead of grams, I did conversion from cups to g for couple of recipes and it turned out that the conversion is done very wrong in my Slovenian book. I ordered the book on Amazon and thought I would get a book with 'cup' as a measuring unit (which was the case in the displayed book on Amazon), but got again everything in 'grams'. Luckily, there are also oz units here, so I can manage. Here is one of the examples: page 21, classic buttermilk pancakes (I will list just 2 ingredients): 300g (3.5 oz) white rice flour, 50ml (5 fl. oz) buttermilk- this calculation is very wrong, since 3.5 oz equals about 100g of flour and 5 fl. oz is approximately 150 ml. So in the recipe there's 3times too much flour and 3times too little buttermilk if you follow the 'grams'. So altogether here's a 6-fold mistake, which makes it impossible to make the pancakes by following the recipe. It is amazing that the book got published with all these mistakes! I would have given it 5 stars, but unfortunately due too all the mistakes I cannot.
on 19 January 2016
So I wanted to try buying kindle version and made a mistake. Although recipes seem to be quite good and each has few variations added, but its difficult to navigate such a type of book as a digital version. You can't just flick trough the pages quickly as you would in a paper version of the book. You can of course go to table of contents, but instead of showing titles of recipes it shows sections of the book (breakfasts, appetisers and so on...), so you would still have to swipe through all the pages in that section to find recipe you want. Some images are almost the page size some are tiny, also recipes are split into few pages. It was my first digital recipe book, so i'm not sure if other similar books will be any better or worse, but i think i will definitely stick to good old paper next time when ill want to cook something new.
on 25 September 2017
Brilliant
on 13 August 2014
A very useful little (compact in size) book packed with great ideas for the beginner or serious foodie. A great help if you are looking just to change your eating habits, or if it is a matter of necessity (purchased for my daughter who has discovered she is gluten intolerant). Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 August 2015
Very easy cookery book to follow, lots to chose from.
I am the only one in my family who has to have Gluten Free food, but even my family love these food in this book :)
on 3 February 2014
This small book is superb with wonderful ideas. Each recipe has 5 alternative options and the waffles are fantastic! I am not a keen cook, but this little find has inspired me no end. I have bought many of the gluten-free books on the market but this is the one I recommend to everyone!
3 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2014
PERFECT BOOK FOR CHANGING YOUR EATING HABITS TOO GLUTEN FREE FINALLY I CAN EAT LOVE IT WORTH EVERY PENNY ..
on 3 October 2014
Very informative lots of different recipes would recommend
on 14 March 2014
Some good recipes for me to try, plenty choice. Easy to read and easy to follow recipe book. Thank you