Customer reviews

Me and My Sewing Machine: A Beginner's Guide
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2015
Exactly what I wanted, everything explained in laymans terms. I know I'll be referring to it for a long time to come. Now I'm even more excited about my machine arriving :)
on 14 September 2017
Daughter Happy
on 12 June 2017
Ok , as advertised
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 March 2017
It works its good for sewing and
Small items
on 5 November 2015
Informative
on 9 September 2013
For a begining sewer, this book had everthing I needed. It's well laid out, the pictures are useful, and the information is relavant to my stage of learning. I would recomend this book to any sewer! A must have for your library.
on 3 September 2014
I am sure this is a great book - if you buy the paper version. On a Kindle, the pictures are too small and you have to keep flicking back and forth to try and match the pictures and the text.

From what I could see the book itself looked pretty good, and I am quite tempted to buy it in paper format. Just annoyed at having wasted money on a book I can't really read.
on 3 October 2010
As a bloke with no sewing skills I found this book really good value. Not only does it tell and show you what things like seams and hems look like, but also how to set your 'generic' machine to sew them. It's a bit like a Haynes Manual - shows you before and after and also 'wrong' and 'right' sides. I have used it to alter trouser leg lengths and to make from a pattern, a dressing gown.

If you need one book either for yourself or as a present for someone buying or owning a sewing machine, this is it. Fancy techniques are no good unless the fundamentals are understood - the book excells at this. It is also very readable.

Recommended.
Ian, Hampshire
44 Comments| 306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2012
My 11 year old daughter has been wanting to haul the sewing machine out of the garage and "have a go" for ages! The in-laws helped her get the machine running and I purchased this book based on its clear layout and good reviews. My daughter read the book through and in a weekend we made the skirt for our forthcoming holiday. The instructions are clear and apart from a couple of instances when we had to read through a couple of times, it was relatively easy. I was suprised that an 11 year old could mitre corners and put a zip in with no prior experience. We were also helped by a delightful fabric shop owner who ensured we had all the correct equipment before starting. Can't wait for the next project now! This book with its easy clear layout, good pictures and "non technical" wording has really inspired my daughter. A great purchase.
on 8 November 2010
I have other sewing manuals, but this one is laid out beautifully, simple techniques and easy to follow, clear instructions and pictures. Really helpful for a beginner and some nice projects in the back of the book. I am very happy with my purchase.