on 18 November 2009
Mine eyes!... Based on the recommendations on Amazon I purchased this book. My copy arrived today, and whilst I can't really assess how well written the tips are (I'd need to try them out, step by step, on my sewing machine first), there certainly ain't anything 'Couture' about them... The pictures and fashion are absolutely hideous - one fussy, garish, cheap, tacky outfit after another (without forgetting the most heinously upholstered chair!). The picture on the cover should have given it away, sadly I didn't click 'enlarge' to check it out before buying. As for the alleged 'couture' tips: how to make a single/ double welt pocket, adding piping to a jacket, bound buttonholes, etc. these are all basic tailoring... not Couture. I have many sewing books already, and this only repeats what I aleady know. A sham in (very) ugly clothes.
on 16 April 2009
This well produced book with it's excellent text and photographs explains in detail a variety of sewing techniques to give an emaculate finish. This is not a book of short-cuts for quick results!
The pages of this book appear to be the same as "Cool Couture" by Kenneth King.
Cool Couture: Construction Secrets for Runway Style (Singer Studio)
on 30 June 2010
I throughly enjoyed this book, by the lovely Kenneth D King.

I have other books, which have reames of writing and although extremely informative; Kenneths format gets the thumbs up from me.

Clear diagrams and language make it so so easy to follow and achieve the same high standard of finish, time and time again.

Kenneth gives you the basics; for me it was bought to refresh my memory on some of the skills I havent't used for years ( bound buttonholes as an example) and gives you ideas to create your own looks too.

Although other reviewers have disliked the styles etc, I feel that this gives you an insight to what an be achieved, once the techniques have been mastered.

As a lover of evening wear, classic and sometimes a little different, I loved what Kenneth did to encourage and inspire.

Anyone wanting to try some of these skills for the first time...........well, the diagrams and tips are clear and straightforward. I dont believe it will languish on your bookshelf.
on 20 March 2012
I just got this book today after just ordering yesterday and I MUST say that it is good but not to die for and the explanations on the ruffles and the chinese knot were useful. I found the instructions on the pockets/button holes very good as it had an alternative technique to what you would read in normal pattern instructions (which you buy) and this simplified versions are quite a godsend.

I like
on 5 September 2009
Although I have sewn for a number of years, I still picked up a lot of hints and tips. A very small price to pay for lovely read.
on 27 April 2015
Well written exquisite and inspirational book.
on 17 February 2011
Get this book without a doubt if you are sewing in a technical way or wanting to do tailoring. It describes everything in an easy to understand way and I think people who don't know much about sewing would be able to follow it too.

Buy it. Do it now!