on 3 May 2008
This is an excellent introduction to the making of hand-made chocolates, covering the making of truffles, hand-dipped and moulded chocolates. But be aware - it is the same book as the 2007 "Making Artisan Chocolates" by the same author. If you own one book, you own them both.
on 15 April 2010
This is a great book explaining the precise method for making truffles, filled chocolates and hand dipped chocolates, including a basic ganache filling and several very exotic recipes including Mango, Mint & Coriander (that's all in one chocolate!) and Jasmine Tea.

My only complaint is that I'd probably have liked one or two more classic fillings (i.e. peppermint cream, liquid caramel) so I could start simple. That's probably just a question of taste though, as I am not a fan of boozy, fruity or coffee chocolates, and many of the recipes in this book incorporate one or more of these elements.
on 10 October 2017
Great and informative. I am learning fast from this beautifully put together book.
on 10 September 2008
This book is perfect for people who are confident with basic kitchen skills and have a little time to invest. The recipes, processes and instructions are all clear, and produce high-quality chocolates. There's a good overview of tempering, working with chocolate, and matching chocolate and flavours.

What this book isn't is a book of shortcuts or quick fixes - and none the worse for that in my opinion, but don't buy this if you are looking to go into mass production for the school fete!
on 18 October 2010
I bought this book as a beginner to chocolate making but as someone who is fairly good in the kitchen. I opened it and some of the recipes looked brilliant, and the instructions were also good and clear, and helped by illustrations, However It is an American Book and has alot of American names for things, Such as 'Heavy Cream' which is not a problem if you can relate these to English names,
on 2 November 2010
I had spent ages looking for a book which made "Making Chocolates" both fun and easy. The book titled "Making
Fine Chocoltes" is an excellent book and for those who are considering making unusual, as well as the more familiar chocolates, I strongly recommend this book entitled "Making Fine Chocolates Flavour-Infused Chocolates, Truffles and Confections by Andrew Garrison Shotts"
on 26 February 2010
Do not under any circumstances buy this bokk if you are on a diet - you will fail.

This book contains some of the best chocolates I have ever tasted and indeed some of the strangest. Getting your head around Sea Salt in chocolates takes a bit of getting used to - but it works.
on 4 March 2011
I first had this book on loan together with some other chocolate recipe books from the library because I wanted to make some good truffles for Christmas presents, but this books recipes were so easy to follow with plenty of pictures, that I just had to buy it. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone novices and experienced cooks alike. The history of chocolate is interesting too. Oh and the chocolates were so good the recipients said I should go into business.
on 10 November 2015
A bit too American for the UK ?
Does not offer UK/European alternatives to typical American ingredients. I think 'heavy cream' is the same as our double cream, but not sure?
And why would I buy beautiful expensive raw chocolate and then add cheap processed 'corn-syrup' instead of pure honey?
And his suggestions for making ganache (add hot cream to unheated chocolate) just does NOT seem to work for me. However hot I make the cream, it is never enough to melt all the choc - maybe it just does not work in this climate or maybe my kitchen is too cold?
When I use his technique, the ganache separates EVERY time. When I use techniques from other books it works and I get a lovely glossy emulsion.
on 16 June 2008
This book is a great introduction to chocolate making. It has a brief but concise introduction on the process of making chocolate from the bean, the components of dark, milk and white chocolates and also about pairing chocolate with wine/ beer!

I've successfully made several batches of chocolates. The instructions are clear and concise and the book covers truffles, moulded chocolates and hand dipped chocolates. However the recipes are precise, and there are no basic ganache recipes to allow you to develop your own chocolate creations. Overall though a very good starting point