Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 August 2009
We stumbled across this little treasure completely by accident, and have never looked back!

With hugely diverse soups from Creamy Courgette & Dill, Wild Mushroom with Sage, Creamy Chicken & Saffron to Malaysian Prawn Laksa, Moroccan Harira or Spicy Sausage & Bean soup, as well as the more unusual chilled soups to fruit base soups, there is genuinely something here for everyone. Our favourite sections are "Meal in a bowl", "20 minute treats" and "Asian flavours". The Thai/Vietnamese recipes in particular are so simple yet authentic, and all ingredients can be found in most supermarkets.

We are working our way through every recipe one by one, and have genuinely found them all to be so delicious that we've given up "scoring" them for future reference! This is a great find, and is an excellent book for anyone from the novice cook wanting a wholesome meal to the home chef looking to make a deliciously different start to any dinner party.

My only comment would be that "500 soups" is a wee bit of a misnomer. There are actually 90 base soups, each with 5-6 variations, but it's still impressive and is definitely value for money!!
11 Comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2009
Good soups, ingredients are easy to obtain (unlike some soup books), clear instructions and nice photo's. All in all a welcome addition to my extending soup books.
on 14 October 2009
This is a great little book, I lost this once during moving house and missed it soo much I purchased another one. I love the fact that it gives you a basic soup recipe and then suggests several variations. It is a absolute must for any soup lover. I currently have organic veggies delivered and find that I often have some left over, this book provides me with lots of ideas on how to use them effectively in different soups.
on 2 January 2010
What a fab book. Contains so many different recipes under different headers, i.e cold/summer soups, low fat etc. Never realised soup was so easy to make, much better than buying it in tins? Hooked on making soups myself and trying out all the different variations. Well worth the money.
on 27 November 2011
This book has a great selection of soups for all tastes. I bought it having borrowed a friends copy - I was using it so much I didn't want to give it back! The portion sizes are big enough (unlike so many recipes in books) and I have thoroughly enjoyed making several of the soups so far. The pictures are also very appealing and pretty close to the final product. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 11 February 2010
I got myself a soup maker by Cuisinart earlier in the year and to save running out of ideas this book has always given me plenty of ideas.
on 19 April 2014
The sound recipes are good and easy to follow, most are tasty. I have found many of these recipes in other books and they are perhaps a little too straight forward. This would be a very good book for someone who was not particularly confident in the kitchen.
on 2 August 2013
First, I bought this in second hand, but was like new, the book is nice and had many recipes, but as I always saw in cook books, there are many similars, there is a section called variations, where the put in a full page for one soup small changes that you can do... (90 pages of variations), but well, do you really imagine 500 soups being all differents? :) still didnt tried any, but I was reading the recipe and most of them sounds pretty good..
on 26 May 2015
This soup book is good, but i feel at times like you need a lot of ingredients to make some quite simple soups. However, the essence of a great soup is there, therefore, you can adapt and amend the recipes as and how you feel necessary! Some of these recipes also work really well with a soup maker, which is a pleasant surprise, and is much cheaper than some soup maker recipe books.
on 13 December 2010
i brought this book 4 my mum as a christmas stocking filler as she loves making different soups.it as a wide variety of soups 4 her to try.A great price and quick delivery.