Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 December 2009
I thought this would be great. I would make a new batch of cookies every week, trying all sorts of different recipes. So far I've tried two, and things have not gone well on either occasion. I am not a bad cook, and I know how to follow recipes accurately. I have a good set of kitchen scales that weigh to within 5g, and I am careful when I cook. Nevertheless, these recipes seemed to have failure built in.

First, the chocolate and orange sandwich cookies, on page 129: in the picture they look wonderful. I had terrible trouble making the paste, which was sticky and hard to handle. I suspect the ratio of dry to wet ingredients was wrong. Maybe I used eggs that were too large. As it was I persevered. The recipes says to bake for 10 -- 25 minutes. I took them out after about 18 minutes, which it turned out later (after they had cooled) was not long enough. However, the recipe doesn't say how to tell when they're done, so how could I know? Furthermore, again following the recipe, my orange cream filling ended up far too wet to use comfortably. Overall, the taste was great, but the cookies were a deep disappointment.

Second, snicker doodles, page 24. The recipe claims to make 2 dozen biscuits. It tells you to place the paste balls 2 inches apart, implying that the resulting biscuits will have a 2 inch diameter. Rubbish! Mine all ran together into one large mass. I estimate that that quantity of paste would make at least 3 dozen biscuits, if not more. Worse, it was impossible to scrape them off the baking tray because there was no instruction to grease it. Other recipes don't omit that instruction when it is needed, so I naturally assumed that it wasn't necessary. I still haven't removed the baked-on mess. Once again, the taste is great but the experience is a huge disappointment.

I have given up with this book, and I advise you to do so too.
on 18 January 2009
Agree with a previous reviewer that transforming this book for the UK market might have resulted in some editing oddities. What is "Muesli sugar"? - and in at least one recipe, you're told to process an ingredient which is never mentioned again so the instructions can be a bit confusing. For this reason, probably not a book for a beginner but useful for a cook who likes to bake and is looking for some fresh inspiration.
on 5 January 2010
I've tried just one recipe "gingerbread bears". Since they were presents for christmas I made double dough... Unfortunately the quantities were wrong and I could make cookies only because I checked on the net for other recipes. At the end they turned out very good but I had to add 160gr of butter instead of only 75gr...
on 12 January 2007
This is the UK version of '500 Cookies' it is written in grams and ounces NOT cups. It also has British ingredients, ie no corn syrup.

I haven't yet tried the recipes so I can't say if they are work well. But they do look appealing.

It has recipes and 2-4 adaptations of each one. So not 500 completely different recipes, but still a lot to choose from.
on 10 July 2007
The 500 cookies from the title arises from offering half a dozen variations on some basic recipes. More importantly some of the recipes produce distinctly variable results and make you question oven times and cooking temperatures. Is this the result of the switching some of the ingredients from a US base to a UK base?
on 3 April 2013
I think that this is a super great product, and so I would gladly buy it agian in the future