on 4 June 2013
Having just taken up dressmaking again after an interval of a lot of years, and having lost over 3 stone, I needed a book to help me make sense of altering patterns to fit me properly. This book does it all, shows all the techniques I needed to know - especially as I am a size 16 at the top and a small 14 at the bottom - to alter patterns to fit. I have recently completed my first two dresses, one adapted from a size 16 pattern and one in which I melded two pattern sizes together. The fit is much better than just following a pattern and having to make do with what came out at the end! Loads of photographs to help me make sense of the instructions, loads of info about measurements and how to take them, loads of tips and tricks and beautifully put together to make a book which I will turn to again and again - every time I have a pattern, or indeed, a garment to alter! One of the best buys I've made in ages!
11 people found this helpful
on 23 September 2013
I love love love this book, it's been the best I have found on the market in terms of actually pushing your skills, ability and confidence forward in the pattern alteration area. It does not just bore you with with the theory of why you would alter patterns it actually shows you how, where, why to alter for your personal fitting problems. It covers (in my view) probably all of the common alterations a seamstress would need to make and more! I have made 1 perfectly fitted shirt and dress using the '' cut and spread'' technique shown and would recommend this book to all serious dress makers/fashion dessigners as a good go to resource to remember key skills and to those who are at beginner level who wish to push their skills up to the next level with fitting skills and to those ( like me) who often have to adjust standard industry patterns in the main areas of shoulders, back, bust and waist etc.

Whatever your level, if you can read a pattern with confidence and often do not fit the industry standard pattern measurements and need to adjust here and there this is the book for you.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 July 2013
What a fantastic book. Needs to be studied to make dresses perfectly but well worthwhile. A Very rewarding hobby. Make your own designer dresses
9 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2013
I would recommend this book to any budding sewist.
I purchased this after many years of sewing & learnt a great deal about fitting from this book.
Excellent buy & an undeniable "Bible" in my sewing room.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 December 2017
ipou;lygfdcx
on 20 June 2014
I like the way that each figure fault and how to alter the pattern for it is illustrated by a photograph which shows you exactly what to do as well as the written instructions. The book is laid out so that it is easy to find how to alter your pattern when you are looking through quickly. e.g. shoulder alterations, back alterations etc.
on 19 April 2014
This is one of the most informative books on pattern fitting I have ever read. It's clearly written easy to understand and has pictures to guide you every step of the way and well worth every penny it costs.
on 23 February 2017
Good conditions, content correct and can be helpful if you don't have any pattern cutting books , otherwise too expensive for such a thin book .
One person found this helpful
on 10 July 2014
This is a book to turn too for advice on particular areas. Given that fitting is, in my opinion, the most difficult thing about sewing this is a useful manual with a broad overview of the issues and detail on how to fix all of the most common problems.
on 27 February 2013
I wanted to find a book that showed me how to draft my own patterns - not being standard-sized I find it difficult to find patterns that fit. This book does exactly that. .
3 people found this helpful