on 28 February 2008
I've read a lot of coaching books (last count was more than 50) and the new edition of 'Making the Big Leap' has to be the best - it's now one of only two books on my bedside table. I've been the classic 'boiling frog' as Suzy puts it - and now finally have jumped out the saucepan and am making changes, following Suzy's exercises in the book every day. If I'd seen another wheel of life in another book I'd have gone mad, but this book has some great exercises, like the journalist writing about you in the future. One of the best parts about this book is that Suzy talks about some of her clients that have been happy to share their stories. One of these is Nicky Hambleton-Jones of '10 years younger'. Reading about someone famous that has succeeded after having coaching is really inspirational, but it wasn't until I brought Nicky's new book 'Top to Toe' as well (thoroughly recommend you buy both) that you can see the journey of the client. Buy both books and start silencing those inner critics!!
on 27 February 2010
I enjoyed reading this book, because unlike some other life coaching books I've read, it tries to acknowledge the negative stuff that might be holding us back. Perhaps that shouldn't be my focus on a Life Coaching book! - but when I read these books I start off very positively feeling that this time I've found the book that's going to change my life, then quickly go downhill as I realise the gulf between the successful people described in these books and me seems wider and wider, until it seems like an impassible impasse and I throw the book down in frustration! At least this book had a great section on "unmet needs" and how they might be ruling our lives without us realising it. There were also some really interesting exercises and questions which try and uncover what's going on beneath the surface which I liked. All in all compared to other Life Coaching books I've read I liked this one. But I still felt that it was a bit unreal - surely we can't all become as successful as Nicky Campbell? And I'm still waiting for my "bingo moment!"
on 11 October 2014
I guess if you need someone to tell you "Yay! Go ahead and do it!" then yes, this book might help. But if, like me, you are looking for suggestions on which steps to take, then you won't find much helpful information here.
on 25 November 2009
I have read all the self help books written! This book is different. This is more dynamic and thought provoking than most. It is like having your own personal coach talking to you from the pages. I had not been coached before reading this book but I will honestly say that it has changed my life. It has put me on a new path. You need to understand that I would regard myself as a cautious creature so havent gone on to this new path on a whim. I so enjoyed the book I contacted Suzy direct via her website and I am lucky enough to be getting coached by her now. If you want a new direction or need a loving encouraging helping hand this book is just what you need.