Customer reviews

A Change of Appetite: where delicious meets healthy
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 June 2016
This book is pictorially delicious to look at and is beautifully put together. I bought this as a gift with the intention of inspiring and encouraging healthy eating but some of the recipes use very expensive ingredients which make it a little out of the beginner's hands. Make sure the person who you are getting this for is already a cooking aficionado.
on 21 May 2016
Never written a review before but have enjoyed the recipes in this book so much it would be rude not to. Being a seasoned cook and lover of recipe books i find with this one a myriad of wonderful flavours that have made me want to try a new one evey day. Buy it! You wont be disaapointed.
on 19 July 2017
Diana Henry is one of my favourite cook book authors and this one is full of lovely recipes with excellent photographs.
on 22 April 2017
We love Diana Henry and this was a gift to the more ambitious chef from the less ambitious chef in the household. Everything we have cooked so far has been reasonably easy, imaginative and yet beautiful to look at...it has also helped encourage us to use new ingredients and more vegetables, but does not require trips to specialist grocers.
on 26 April 2017
Although I'm a vegetarian, I really trust Diana Henry. She produces recipes my family and friends thoroughly enjoy. I try to adapt her recipes to suit me and this book adds another dimension.
on 15 March 2014
Diana Henry is literally in a different league. As someone who owns more than 600 cookbooks, cooks on a daily basis and reads cookbooks the way other people read novels, I can say with confidence that this is a most unique cookbook. The diversity of the recipes and the scope of this book are truly breathtaking. She has researched her subject extensively and it shows. Many people can write a cookbook, a select few can write a cookbook anywhere close to this one. If all cookbooks were like this one, a serious cook would only need a handful. I am sure I will be cooking from it for years to come.
22 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2015
I am a big cookery fan and bought this book mainly because of the favourable reviews. However, the recipes call for many ingredients and whilst I consider myself to be reasonably adventurous I do not have the time or inclination to ferret around on line for certain ingredients. I have always held that in every cookery book there is one recipe which will become a favourite. However, I could find nothing in this book to whet the appetite and indeed inspire me to try. Sorry Diana fans - this was most definitely not for me!
on 19 October 2015
Like Purpleheart, I am a long time Diana Henry fan, but I think with this book she may well have surpassed herself. I've tried loads of recipes - on friends, family, husband - and they have almost all been wow. I've given copies to my sis, my daughter, and recommended it to anybody willing to listen. It really is that good. I have no idea how she manages to capture so effectively the culinary zeitgeist - and who cares? All I know is that she has an uncanny knack of producing recipes which I really want to try.

Those I have tried include:

Teriyaki salmon with pickled vegetables and sesame seed (now a favourite in our household)
Japanese ginger and garlic chicken with smashed cucumber (ditto - and party fare for my daughter)
Nectarine, tomato and basil salad with torn mozzarella (I thought this would be dull - an odd mix- I was so wrong - my note in book says 'unbeatable')
Goat cheese and cherry salad with almond and basil germinate
Seared tuna with chilli and peanut dressingSkewered chicken with lime, chilli and mint salad
Buttermilk sherbet
Carrot, cabbage and apple salad - my notes say 'fab'
Chicken and pumpkin with soy and star anise - my husband made this one and it was fantastic.
Spiced pork chops with ginger and mango relish
Soy mushrooms with egg ribbons and black sesame
Quinoa, black lentil, mango and smoked chicken with korma dressing - again made by my husband. The dressing in particular is wow. Our locally bought chicken was a bit over-smoked so next time will try with the non smoked variety - or perhaps with smoked tofu. But a delicious plateful.
Carrot and mooli salad with peanut chilli dressing - although there was a lot of prep, the flavours were fantastic.
Kale pesto with wholewheat linguini - I've made this a couple of times - sometimes we eat the pesto on crackers too.
Seared tuna with avocado and wasabi puree - now I use the puree for other things too.
Seabass ceviche with avocado and grapefruit. Really fresh tasting.

In writing this, I realise I haven't made many of the cakes / desserts, so I need to get stuck into this, but I truly think this is a book I'd like to cook my way through from start to finish (season by season). Highly recommended
on 22 October 2017
Fab book
on 28 February 2016
I haven't used it much, the kind of cookbook that stays on the shelf.