on 30 August 2013
I returned this book as it was not as comprehensive as the same titled "RHS Pruning & training" with isbn 978-1-4053-6312-9 (hardback). I loaned both out from the library and I feel the hardback version with isbn n.o. I have given in this review is far superior in detail and explanation so avoid the one which has a yellow cover.

The title description says handbook for the yellow version of pruning & training but for most gardeners looking for a practical reference guide the above isbn n.o. version is the one to get.
10 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2013
Most of the book is taken up with detailed sections on pruning different types of plants. Although they look impressive, these sections are of limited use if you're pruning an established plant, since they seem to spend more time on newly planted shrubs and trees than anything else. As always seems to be the case, the section on roses is of limited use if you don't know what kind of rose it is. Whenever I've moved and inherited a rose, it's been almost impossible to tell whether it's a shrub rose gone wild, a rambler, climber or something else altogether.

The back section gives useful advice on each shrub/ tree by latin name. However, you still need to know what you're doing to an extent. Yesterday I pruned a broom. The advice is to reduce flowering branches by 2/3. Well, does that mean the actual branch that the little green shoots which flowered, spring from? Or does it mean the little green shoots on which the flowers were growing? I have no idea because there are no pictures. I will find out next year if I did it right!

If I could restructure this book, I would make all of it in alphabetical order, with pictures against each entry and more information on pruning established plants, with accompanying pictures.
on 18 July 2017
This was purchased as a gift and was very well received I can't tell you anything more
on 1 August 2013
The RHS Pruning and Training book has totally transformed the way we do gardening. It is informative, and precise in its detail, I would heartily recommend this purchase to a friend, and have already done so.
on 6 December 2012
I bought this book today, but have returned it, as it has not been 'digitised' for the Kindle and is just effectively a static photographic copy of the book. This means I can't enlarge the text or rotate the image and therefore can't read it on a screen the size of the Kindle. I was very disappointed as RHS books in paper format are usually excellent. I'd expect such a recently published book to be in a suitable format for e-readers.
on 21 October 2016
Lovely little book
on 8 August 2015
good book now for the hard work
on 9 August 2015
Exactly as I expected - so useful
on 20 December 2013
I need lots of help to decide when and how to prune different shrubs and other plants too. This book makes lovely helpful reading
on 26 May 2013
As a part-time very novice gardener I wanted a book on the basics covering pruning for wisteria and climbers - this was a great purchase with lots of detail but practical and readable. I have a few books but none are as knowledgeable and helpful on the topic...