Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 September 2013
After finally deciding to shun gas barbecues in favour of teaching myself how to cook 'low and slow' properly with coals, I plumped for a couple of different books to help get me on my way. If you've been to Pitt Cue Co you'll know what to expect from this - a lot of pork, slightly British takes on proper American BBQ, and a love of vinegary pickles and slaws. The recipes are superb (the pulled pork blows my old recipes out of the water), although be warned that 'low and slow' is just that (slow), there are very few direct grill meat recipes in the book (although the few there are, e.g. the devilled chicken thighs, are sublime).

As good as the food recipes are, the book has three more (arguably as useful) strings to its bow - the theory, the sauces, and the cocktails. The theory of indirect grilling is laid out much clearer for (more or less) beginners than anything else I've read, and vastly improved my slow cooked large joints. The sauces and sides are suitably varied and in some places pretty unique (picked watermelon rind anyone?), and the cocktails will get any fan of whisky cocktails salivating, including various options for the epic pickleback.

Highly recommended for any barbecue fan if you're after something slightly different to the usual faire. I can highly recommend Ray Lampe's "Slow Fire" as an accompanying bible, mainly as it has the greatest dry ribs I've ever experienced...
on 30 May 2014
Don't waste your money on the Kindle edition, buy that hardcover. In Kindle there is no contents and no index pages. I was so disappointed I had to buy the Hardcover version as well so bought same book twice. Amazon sort out these dreadful Kindle copies, I don't expect to have to buy a book twice.
This is an interesting book - a bit of all sorts, from the menu list of Pitt Cue, which started as a superior burger van, of sorts. The recipes are of interest if you have the means to smoke food - get a smoker, or build one - seemingly everyone is doing it: this might seem like a bit of a fad, but the menus for food, drinks, relishes and sauces, etc. are genuinely interesting and the book, overall, is novel and a cut above many more conventional cookery books you can buy and reflects the drive and passion of the people who created it.
on 14 February 2015
Bought this for my nephew as it was on his Christmas wish list. He's over the moon with it - I think he's found it a little hard to source a couple of items for the recipes, especially the cocktails as it is largely American-orientated. But. with a little planning he's managed to source them from Amazon, so job done!
on 14 February 2016
I enjoyed this book and have made several recipes, despite not owning any kind of barbecue.

A large part of the book is devoted to cocktails, sauces, slaws and desserts, all of which can be made in a small apartment kitchen. Standout recipes were Pitt Cue's take on the New York Sour cocktail and their Chipotle and Confit Garlic Slaw. These on their own made the book worth the price for me.

Although the remainder of the recipes do require an American style barbecue, there is still a lot that can be adapted to slow cooking meat in a domestic oven. It is also enjoyable to read how this kind of food is made if you are a fan of the restaurant like I am.

My only criticism would be that some recipes are inexact (e.g. specifying 1/2 a cabbage or 1/2 a bunch of something without any indication of the weight).
on 17 September 2015
This book is an amazing read but would I actually attempt any of the recipes? I am not sure as they are very technical and there is nothing worse than following a recipe and there is another recipe to follow, like a recipe within a recipe I.e add brine (see page 64). I definitely will be visiting their gaff in Soho though...
on 5 June 2015
Am amazing bbq book with brilliant tips, ideas, rubs, great recipes and salivating photos. I haven't been to pitt cue and really want to but am glad there is a book so you can make it at home. This is a really well done book and we have used it for many bbqs already
on 20 July 2016
I love this book.
It isn't "easy peasy lemon squeesy, everything can be bought at a Tesco Express" and it's a good job because I wanted a proper book. Not some phoney rubbish to con me into thinking true BBQ was quick and easy.
BBQ food takes investment of time, skill and preparation, it is the furthest things from fast food bar sous vide. If you want a challenge and are happy to put the work in, there are a lot of great invovative recipes in this book, it's nice to look at and the general theory is a welcome addition too.

Too complex, too involving, too much prep? That's not the books fault, it's yours for buying a book on proper BBQ without realising what that entails.
on 2 September 2015
Great book easy to follow. I had a bbq for 40 people and put my faith in the book. The pulled pork was amazing as was the slaw and burgers. The chipotle ketchup and be sauce is amazing and we put it in jars to keep. Only down side is a lack of chicken recipes.
on 11 August 2013
Have used this book for the first time this week to cater for son's birthday BBQ.
The recipes are quite involved but wow, are they good.

I made the chipotle ketchup, BBQ mayonnaise, barbeque sauce and house rub along with the mother sauce. Then went onto to the pulled pork and chicken wings recipe as drumsticks.

Made the peanut butter icecream. My only mistake was making one quantity of the recipe as I had to make a second it was sooo good.

very little left overs after the BBQ.