Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 August 2013
As a fan of chocolate this book supplied me with numerous new ways to enjoy it. My only issue is that some of the less common procedures required to create some of the ingredients are fairly badly explained, or just not explained. The 'flagship' recipe from the front cover is a good example of this. A little testing of these recipes on less experienced bakers would have made it a 5 star book.
on 12 August 2013
Eric Lanlard, veteran of Baking Mad and Glamour Puds television series, has compiled an indulgent compendium for his most loved baking ingredient: chocolate. Lanlard's fascination with chocolate is firmly rooted in his childhood, and his enthusiasm for the precious commodity is infectious.

The book begins with A Brief History of Chocolate: a concise insight into its ancient beginnings (uses varied widely from aphrodisiac to currency). The following introductory chapters, Know Your Chocolate and Working with Chocolate, cover essential techniques for selecting, storing and manipulating chocolate.

Having covered the basics, Lanlard gets down to some serious baking; the recipes are split across four chapters, with clear instructions (handy lines split the recipes into sections for easy reading), insightful tips and tantalising photographs from Kate Whitaker.

From the Bakery covers humble buns, nibbles and bling cakes. My favourites are the decedent Salted Butter Caramel Cake and nutty Chocolate and Pistachio Biscotti.

Desserts & Puddings is comprised of show-stopping recipes that are guaranteed to impress, Chocolate and Banana Tarte Tatin is surprisingly easy and deeply satisfying, whilst the White Chocolate and Passion Fruit Cheesecake is bursting with flavour and colour.

Truffles & Treats is packed with chocolates and sweats from the traditional to more experimental (see Lapsang-Souchong Pralines) that, wrapped up in a smart box or jar, would make fantastic presents. Lanlard finishes off the book with Drinks, Spreads & Sauces, which features the ancient Spicy `Aztec' Hot Chocolate, laced with nutmeg and cinnamon, it is the perfect restorative at the end of long day, and rich enough to satisfy even the most ardent chocoholic.

No matter how much I have eaten, I can always find room for chocolate. Lanlard's Chocolat is an inspiring collection from a Master Pâtissier.
on 5 September 2013
Nom! This book is called chocolate, so if I wasn't already sold (which I was), to make it better, it has lots of tasty choccie treats for you to make!
Women rejoice!! Menstruation need not be the devil!
on 16 October 2013
Another brilliant book by Eric Lanlard, I received this book last week as a gift and boy am I pleased with my gift, even the cover of this book oozes quality, I have already made the Lemon & White chocolate madeleine's, the mixture does make 36 and as I only have one madeleine tray that makes 12 it had to go in the oven 3 times but they do only take 10 minutes. None the less they were lovely as all Eric's recipes are and I can't wait to get started on the rest. I recommend this book to one and all and at the price Amazon is currently selling it for.
on 7 December 2015
I found this book at a very good price and decided to give it a try but after reading it from cover to cover I have to say that some of the recipes are quite complex and usually I go more for the simple side of cooking. I love very tasty and even sophisticated looking dishes, that awfully simple to make, which is not the case as far as many of the recipes in this book go. The photos are quite nice but not all recipes have photos, which is a pity but overall this is a very good looking book. I am sure that I will be trying out quite a few recipes and I will eventually comment on the ones that I have tried out.
on 9 February 2016
What can I say about my experience here? Had my eye on this book for a while and when I saw the price (about £4.48 including postage) I thought it was an absolute steal despite the book being second hand. I do a bit of cooking so food stains or the like wouldn't have bothered me in the least. Once you can read the recipe that’s good enough for me.
Let me start by saying this book was described as follows,
"The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged".

Unfortunately that was not the case. The general condition of what remained was decent, however the book was missing 12 pages that had been ripped out of it. All of the best recipes might I add.
I don't know who checked the book before posting or who checked it and said the pages were intact. Because the price was so cheap I feel it was sold like this knowingly. A quick flick through the book and you could see straight away it had pages ripped out.
My rating is for this and this alone. I contacted the seller about this and they were apologetic and have refunded me 20% of the cost and I keep the book as is. Unfortunately receiving a book with pages missing I cannot recommend this seller.
review image review image
on 23 April 2013
When one enters the world of baking, chocolate is King. So, when Master Patisserie or King of Patisserie Eric Lanlard wrote a book on this royal ingredient I knew I was not going to be disappointed!

The book is broken down into 7 chapters. The first few get the reader familiar working with chocolate, and then it goes into From the Bakery; Desserts & Puddings; Truffles & Treats; Drinks, Spreads, & Sauces. Unless you happen to be a chocolate hater, they do exist, there is something for everyone in this book. The wide variety of recipes, all have chocolate though, are within any level of bakers reach. Some are super easy and some just take a bit more time and concentration.

Here is my list of stuff I would like to try:

Chocolate & Cinnamon Buns
Gateau Opera
Double baked Chocolate Meringue Brownie
Chocolate Coffee baked cheesecake
Proper Black Forest gateau
Iced Berries with white chocolate sauce
Chocolate `cassis' royale (cake on cover of book)
Chocolate covered Cherries
Honey & milk chocolate bars
Chocolate Guimauve aka marshmallow
Soft Chocolate Butter Toffee
Double Chocolate Milkshake
Chocolate Cola Float

After a trip to the store tonight I will be baking away! I have had success with all of Eric's books so far and I am very excited to add this one to my collection. You can find more on my blog as I bake my way through it, but will try to update this review as well.
on 31 January 2015
Wonderful book with a range of recipes from easy to hard where everyone can bake from.

Every single recipe we tried so far was extremely tasty. Recipes are clear and simple to understand, does not require a plethora of expensive ingredients and most importantly everything has chocolate in it.

You can just browse through the photos and see what you feel like baking.

Suggested to all chocolate and baking lovers. If you buy this, you must try the brownie recipe first! It is the best one ever.
on 20 May 2013
First reviewed for The Rainy Day Look Book

A new book by french trained Master Patisser Eric Lanlard, containing over a hundred chocolate focused recipes. The book starts off with an informational section, with "A Brief History of Chocolate", "Know your Chocolate" and "Working with chocolate" before moving on to "From the Bakery", "Desserts and Puddings", "Truffles and Treats" and "Drinks, Spreads and Sauces".
As one would probably expect, this is not a book for complete beginners and does contain some more tricky recipes (as well as classics such as "Devilish Chocolate Brownies"), but every recipe is written out clearly with simple step by step instructions so that less confident cooks can follow them without any problems. Almost every recipe comes with a picture, and recipes involving several processes often have step by step pictures to help you see what you are doing.

Some must try recipes from the book are (for me) "Salted butter caramel cake", a rich chocolatey cake with layers of crunchy salted butter caramel buscuits in it; "Double-baked chocolate meringue brownie", simply what the title says but oh so good; "Soft chocolate butter toffee", simple to make and taste great. I could go on and list almost every recipe in this book, missing out only those which include nuts (a big no for me), but that wouldn't be too many!

Five Stars, definately worth buying.
on 20 April 2013
Absolutely stunning book from start to finish. The book is as charming as the author himself.
Gorgeous photos, great recipes and all of them look easy to make with most of the ingredients readily available.
Haven't tried all the recipes yet but the one's i have tried out like chocolate martini have come out really great .
This book is definitely for keeps and its going to serve many many wonderful desserts to my guests for many years to come.