Customer reviews

Tart It Up!: Sweet & Savoury Tarts & Pies
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 December 2013
I purchased this book as I love pies and thought it was a bargain at a reduced price. I am not disappointed. There are so many gorgeous recipes that I was left salivating as I navigated through this book on my Kindle. There are beautiful pictures for approximately 95% of the recipes, and I rated it 4 Stars because of that. I always expect to have an accompanying picture for each dish so I can get a good idea of how my dish should look.

I don't know this author and its the first book I've purchased from him, and I can tell you that o will definitely buy from him again.

Regardless of whether you are a novice, or experienced in the kitchen-the recipes are easy to read. I have yet to try, but I will!
on 17 July 2012
I'm a keen amateur baker ad i haven't done any savoury baking before.. I just got completely inspired when i recieved the book! I've already made the Iberian Chicken Pie and the Thai Crab Mini Pies for a dinner party and they were a great success!! the recipies worked perfectly and they were really easy to follow.

I'm lookng forward to making the Miso cod in brioche pie!!!!! It will be the first time i made a brioche pastry.

I will reccomend this book to anyone who loves baking, even amateurs like me!

Michela
on 30 June 2012
This book is one of the best I've seen, for thoroughly explaining how to make different types of pastry and showing you how to do so in clear, step by step photo diagrams. The book opens with Pastry Basics in which Lanlard runs you through Shortcrust basic, almond, sweet and chocolate), Brioche, Puff, Lining a tin (so useful), and Blind Baking.

You are then set up to make any and all of the tasty recipes in the book! It contains about half sweet and half savoury recipes, which is really great. All are inspired, original and delicious-looking, from the Spring Garden Green Tart (literally overflowing with fresh asparagus and peas), Iberian Chicken Pie, Miso Cod in Brioche Pie, Brittany Seafood Tart and Pork & Cider Pie (phwoar), to Apricot, Honey & Pistachio Tart, Chocolate & Earl Grey Tarts with Roasted Figs, Matcha and Yuzu tart (looks very delicate and refreshing, can't wait to try it out) and the divine-looking Southern Chocolate Mud Pie, a proper American-diner style pie with gooey-looking chocolate filling... I'm drooling already. Also includes the ultimate versions of some family favourites, such as the 'Proper' Quiche Lorraine. Yum!

It also has a lot of vegetarian-friendly recipes (focusing on the vegetables, not cheese and cream) which is really wonderful and refreshing to find.

The book is beautifully laid out with lots of gorgous photographs of the food... and thankfully no 'filler' pictures of Lanlard standing about. (Handsome as he is, I can't abide filler pictures!) Every page in this book is excellent value.
on 23 January 2014
Great photos and a large variety of recipes. Eric's recipes at the front of the book for various types of pastry work well every time. There is a good selection of both savoury and sweet tarts and pies. I have used the book many times and will continue to use it regularly.
on 30 April 2013
Fantastic book. Very clear instructions for inspirational recipes with yummy twists. Lovely photos,so you can see,what you are aiming for.
I would recommend this book to all bakers. ....there isn't one recipe that doesn't excite!
on 18 July 2012
As someone who owns shelf upon shelf of cookery books this has to join old favourites as one which will stand the test of time and become a classic. This is a solid, stunningly shot series of recipes, every one of which you will want to make, from the master patissier, Eric Lanlard. With a gratifying selection of both sweet and savoury pies and tarts, this is a book which works year round. There are springtime and summer tarts making the most of green vegetables, fresh from the garden or the market and autumn and winter warmers which make you long for chilly evenings in front of the fire with a hearty pie.
Buy this book, cook from it regularly, keep it and love it.
on 5 August 2014
It good book for a mater home cook, the dishes are simple not really restaurant, it good for home cook. but the photos are good and easy to follow.

Hugo
on 28 January 2014
He looks good, he probably has a sexy french accent, he cooks up a storm and his tarts are to die for ....what more can you ask of the man. Marry me Eric!
on 31 July 2013
Love both the sweet and savoury tarts but really bought this book for the sweet pastry treats as I enjoy making a dessert to go with my Sunday Roast.
on 24 January 2013
Bought this for my mother's birthday along with a deep flan/tart dish. The recipes look really yummy and not that difficult to make. She loves it!