on 6 April 2017
The plethora of 5 stars led me to believe this to be the holy grail of wine bibliography. Certainly when the book arrived, it felt weighty enough to deserve its reputation. The first 50 pages or so are a rather terse introduction into the world of wine and its production with a page or two dedicated to the various grapes of the world. However each grape simply receives a handful of explanatory notes before moving swiftly. There is not an enormity of details on the production of wine or tasting that would transform one into an aficionado (to be fair the only way to do that is the drink a lot).

In the books defence, it does what it says on the tin. It is an atlas and hence is a detailed look into the regions which produce the wine. In my defence, I admit I had expected more detail giving such glowing reviews. A beautiful book, but one that will cast aside on the coffee table in lieu of my bedside table.
on 18 August 2016
You could not give this book a poor review because it's in a category of its own. It's beautifully produced and written and is a joy just to dip into in an idle moment or refer to for something specific. I'm not a professional but I imagine if I was I would be very sure to have this book to hand. The book retails at £40 which was a bit too much for my budget but the price I was asked to pay here was competitive and puts it within the reach (I imagine) of more wine lovers
on 28 January 2014
I can't add much to what has already been said here but you have to admire the scholarship, research, dedication, visual and verbal flair, and sheer enthusiasm that's gone into this marvellous book. Drinking wine is even better fun when you know about its origin and there isn't much worth knowing that you won't find here. This is by far the best and most bibulous atlas I've ever had the pleasure to own and you could share in the delightful experience if you just shuffle and click that mouse. Cheers!
on 6 April 2014
It's a really good book. I have been wine tasting for about a year and a half, however I have only started to take it seriously and really want to improve for about 6 months. I asked one of the guys at my wine tasting group who has been wine tasting for a little over 20 years, if he'd recommend any books, he recommended this. I later asked my wine merchant who agreed. I'm not a total novice, but neither am I an expert. I found the tone of the book, and the style of writing really helpful. The book is not so expert I find it hard to enjoy, and not too basic to make it boring. It's pitched very well for someone like me. The first 40 or so pages are general information on wine making, terroir, grapes etc. Then it moves on to the atlas section, with comments on the region, lot's of data and the like. It's a great book and I am enjoying it.
on 6 April 2017
A really beautiful book. It is superbly printed and jam-packed with just about all the information one would want to know about vineyards, grapes, methods, tastings etc. etc. The authors and the team behind the product should be highly commended for all their hard work.
on 17 June 2016
This is a terrific resource if you are a wine buff (which I am not) or a novice (which I am.) Massively illustrated with detailed wine region maps (contoured and topographical) together with wine label images and informative text. There is also a worthwhile section in wine production. However - be warned. This is not a book to read in bed - it weighs a tonne!
on 17 February 2017
I bought this for my mother, who is a wine expert and has her own wine business. I can not tell you how happy she was, because this book is one of the best wine atlas in the world. It has everything you need to know about wines, grapes, regions where grapes are growing. Have to notice that this book is not really for a beginners but more for advanced wine experts.
on 11 January 2014
I cannot write a review except to say to you what my son said to me: (He has 2 graduate degrees): Mom, it is a beautiful informative book and I am reading it now instead of the last of Teddy Roosevelt series.
As those 2 degrees would indicate that he has maintained his brain in working condition, I would assume that the book must be really OK in every aspect. I hope this counts as enthusaism for something I have not seen, but am delighted with the enthusiasm which bubbled up north.
Also he told me it arrived in perfect shape and earlier than expected. HOpe this is useful. GK
on 20 March 2015
This is a beautiful book - brought as a gift for my husband at christmas.

It talks about the different wine producing areas, maps, useful blurb - very interesting. If you like Atlases and wine - perfect and considerably cheaper than buying at Fortnum and Mason!
on 17 November 2014
Received in excellent time and order - can't say anything yet about content as I haven't yet opened it, but as I have previous six editions I know it will be updated and more informative than ever - RECOMMENDED - EXCELLENT AND THE BEST INFORMED OF ALL WINE HISTORIES