on 15 July 2016
If I had to whittle down my collection of 100+ cookbooks I would definately keep this. The recipes are varied in their flavour profiles, well written and - most importantly - tasty. After buying and cooking from this I went on to buy two other Diana Henry books ('Roast figs...' and 'A bird in the hand'). I have made ove 20 dishes from the book, all of which worked well. The warm chicken, pomegranate and bulgar sald is so good I made it for 50+ guests at my wedding. The greek herb pilaf with prawns is also delicious. The recipes come with interesting background on the sources. Her savoury Georgian plum sauce is amazing and was an introduction to a cuisine I have gone on to seek out through many other books. My only quibble is that the index is not great for e.g the prawn pilaf is there under 'tomatoes' but not under 'prawns' and the plum sauce is not in the index under 'plum'.
on 29 July 2017
I used to own this book a few years ago and lost it when someone borrowed it. So when I saw it again in kindle form I was very glad to buy it again. The recipes are inspirational and delicious, transporting one to warmer climes just by reading them. Sourcing a few of the more obscure ingredients proved a little challenging but well worth the trouble. Preserved lemons on the go at the moment and ladies navel's made a few days ago. Ice in heaven going to be made for dessert tonight. I can highly recommend this lovely jewel of a book.
on 29 May 2017
Very attractive layout and practical recipes that work and taste pretty good. Rather heavier on meat than I needed though.
on 21 September 2017
Gives in depth descriptions of how different countries use herbs and spices which really helps to understand the cuisines descibed.
on 10 August 2017
All of Diana's recipes are excellent and this book has many of her best.
on 5 April 2017
Wonderful book. Had amazing ideas. Made me think of wonderful ways of mixing flavours.
on 15 October 2017
Fab
on 21 March 2013
Excellent book with superb recipes and information. It contained all the info I wanted with recipes that were new to me.
Why oh why didn't I buy this before? It's brilliant. The recipes are to die for. Buy it - and experience page after page of deliciousness!
VINE VOICEon 10 April 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A smorgasbord of fragrant flavours with recipes from Persia, the Mediterranean, Greece and Turkey... Rose water, lamb, aubergines, pistachios, good sherry, fine dark chocolate. The ingredients list of every recipe reads like a who's who of my favourite things.

n lamb stuffed with figs walnuts and goats cheese then finish with fresh chocolates filled with violet liqueur or rose water cream and I just want to weep.... Then the stuffed figs dipped in chocolate... And the sherry and raisin ice cream... Well bang goes my diet.. Though The Calorie Myth book tells me eating good quality foods will reset my metabolism.... And it's all good quality in this book.

The recipes are sorted by ingredient so each section has starter, main and dessert recipes which can be a little disorienting. But if you love fragrant food you can't go wrong with this lovely book.

And don't get me started on the cakes made with chocolate and sherry or piled high rosewater meringues with cream and berries.... The Rose scented rhubarb with rice pudding is also on my list.

I've been out to the shops and stocked up on pistachios, rose water, saffron and cardamon seeds and tomorrow I'm trying the Pearl Divers rice.