I am a second-year allotment holder only just getting down to really understanding what I have taken on, and I love this little book. Firstly, it's a journal with blank pages for you to record everything you do, with a page per week. I am hoping it will last at least five years as I only write a few sentences per week, and that will enable me to compare across the years how well/badly I did, what jobs I was doing at what time, etc.

However it also gives a clear summary of "jobs for the month", and it has seasonal recipes from Carol's collection, and it's also really full of useful info (e.g. pages on "chitting potatoes" and "blanching vegetables" ) which will be a shortcut reminder of all the careful advice contained in the big Grow Your Own book.

However DO note that this isn't that book - I think perhaps the first reviewer on here got confused and that's why his wife was disappointed. This is a much smaller book that you could take with you to the allotment to note down where you planted your onions etc, to fold seed packets and planting plans into (it has a useful orange elastic to keep all that stuff in there too - and a wipeable cover, for muddy fingers...).

Honestly if I got this for Christmas I would be soooo pleased, and it's nice and cheap too!
11 Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2017
very place with it
on 1 June 2017
Helpful journal good supplier service
on 10 February 2009
A good addition to Carol Kleins original Grow Your Own Veg book from the BBC series.

Lots of good advice and tips for the first time veg grower. Good photographs showing what your plants "should" look like at varies stages of the growing cycle.

Space for making notes, keeping a diary of what you have planted etc.

I would recomend it for anyone who is thinking of growing their own veg for the first time.

Carol Klein "Rocks"!
on 24 December 2010
This will be a very useful way of recording what I do as I do it, so in the coming year will be able to modify it for the better. It can be started at any time as is not marked out by the months of the year. I'm sure it is easy to forget exactly how or when you tacking each task as time goes on but this will be a great help and complement the author's 'Grow Your Own Veg' book. Very helpful as am starting this journey pretty much for the first time.
on 9 February 2009
This is quite a heavy book for it's size. It should be used as an aide memoir, not as a grow your own reference book. There are others for that. But there is room to make your notes, and useful reminders and tips for growing.
on 15 April 2009
My children bought me this book for mothers day. It's great with really practical advice for the beginner veg grower and recipes too. I've already started to record my planting and will be using this for a good few years yet.
on 18 February 2010
My partner and I are just creating a new allotment and I bought this as a present for her to keep track of what we are doing.
She's very pleased with it and so am I.
It's not specific to any particular year, it just goes week 1,2,3 etc, so you have to enter the dates yourself.
There's enough room on each week to write down what you've done or planted etc.
And each page has helpful tips about what you should be doing this week, or a recipe or some other interesting bit of garden knowledge.

Would recommed this to anyone, even if you already have Carols other 'Grow Your Own' books.
on 7 January 2010
........for taking down the allottment and keeping handy in the shed. Just the right size with all the right information we needed to start organising our new allottment.
on 5 August 2014
Very useful, very encouraging and I use it a lot .There are diary pages where you can note what you sow and plant week by week, great for me as I'd never remember in a year's time! This way you can record successes, failures, and the stuff that overwhelms you...why, oh why, did I put in 3 courgette plants in a small garden??
So next year you'll benefit not only from the great advice in this wee hardback, but also from the record of what works for you in your own garden, patio, windowbox or allotment.
Highly recommended,a great gift for any veg growing gardener.