on 8 September 2008
An excellent guide for buying 'reasonable' to 'ultra-premium' wine. Thousands of wines are covered in short informative paragraphs along with ratings and vintage guides.

It's less detailed than "Wine Behind the Label" but at pocket size is totally portable. This is a thoroughly practical book and is genuinely helpful in making wine buying decisions, (mine has been everywhere from the supermarket to the caves of Burgundy). Hugh Johnson manages to combine a careers-worth of expert knowledge with a down-to-earth, sensible and non-stuffy approach.

If you already have the 2008 guide and were going to skip this one (like I was), there are multiple changes and updates to the individual entries, as well as rewritten country introductions. (And yes, last year's gremlins have fled the publisher and they've sorted out the mishaps before sending it to print).
It's also (to me) easier to read with maroon and black type, rather than last years gold and black, and the maps are recoloured and clearer.

It's only a tenner, the price of a bottle of wine, and it might help you to get more bouquet for your buck!
on 29 February 2016
There is a huge amount of information in this ostensibly pocket sized annual (you need cargo pants - and that doesn't go with a suave image of a wine tasting somehow or does it?).

It's worth obtaining for that reason, but it is written for someone who already appears to have some wine knowledge and by that a fair amount so you may find yourself looking at the book and cross referencing google. Or at least that is what my husband does, but then again when he wants to learn about something, it's pretty much all or nothing!

This book is diametrically opposite the Jancis Robinson 24 hour book but I would suggest that you buy both they complement each other very well; there may well be a slight overlap but they fill in each others gaps very well.

I have bought a few books on wine for my husband so my reviews reflect what he has reported back to me - you can read more of my reviews through clicking onto my name and I would recommend that you get Ms Robinson's book as well - The 24-Hour Wine Expert
on 21 February 2016
a constant and faithful companion updated.A must for anyone who appreciates wines,packed with information and no off putting "wine speak ".
As I drink wines frequently I like to keep up to date.It would be reasonable to buy this book every two or three years if you want a portable efficient guide without needing to be bang up todate., I can't remember how long I have been buying this guide-it goes everywhere with me !
on 21 January 2016
The Go-to Guide for up to date wine information for the coming year.It has been a mine of information every year it has been published.The contents continue to expand every year to include new wine regions which did not get included in the early days.Very easy to use and never fails to give a readable account of what is going on in the wine world.It is probably one of the best written short guides especially for those without encyclopaedic knowledge of wines.
on 19 January 2016
Had these for years and always made good use of them. Lots of detail especially on France and therefore able to find and try obscure wines when in the various regions mentioned. I appreciate that it is a pocket guide but my eyesight isn't what it was so I am now finding the print more difficult to read without a magnifying glass. Suggestion why not split into two books with slightly larger print?
on 18 June 2016
I have had copies of this book for many years and it is still the best. Many years ago I took a copy to Germany and spent some great days out visiting the vineyards Hugh recommended. A nice way to spend a holiday.
on 15 January 2016
I bought this as a present, but only because I know how excellent it is. The handy pocket size has much to recommend as it fits in your pocket or the car easily so that it's always to hand.
on 17 January 2016
Same as ever, crammed with the information to make an informed purchase of Bacchus.
Fantastic price and swiftly delivered. Three of the four purchased made great stocking fillers!!
on 14 February 2016
Brought mainly for browsing but also should help with forthcoming trip to the continent. Reasonably wide range of wines but everything of course.
on 5 September 2016
Again, bought for a friend who loves his wine. Good wee book, full of great information. He loved it.