on 3 April 2006
This is a must have! I'm really surprised no-one has thought of this idea before. The price difference between the recognised brands and supermarket's own products is often so wide that it makes me wonder why I've been so loyal to the household names for so long -- particularly as the products are compared for taste and the brands have often been shown to be inferior. Although the author claims a taste difference between the recognised brand and the supermarket's own, I note he is a professional taster and for the majority of the supermarket own brand products I have tried (not all), there seems to be no discernible difference in taste- just price! I generally shop at two of the major supermarket chains and there is no doubt that the small cost of the book has more than paid for itself in just one shopping outing. I have a family of four and shopping is expensive- anything I can do to reduce my weekly bills, whilst ensuring the quality remains the same has to be worth doing. I say well done and thank you to Mr Isark.
on 5 April 2006
This is a really useful guide to look through at home and then have in your pocket (or hand) when you go round the supermarket. It is fascinating and practical. It has saved us money and at the same time got us out of a rut. We have tried new brands of several different foods and drinks that the author recommends - and he is spot on. They taste better and often cost less. We should have changed to them long ago.
What's more, he gives lots of nutritional information, so you can see what's the healthiest - or least fattening - variety.
Worth every penny!
on 14 June 2006
The results of using this book:-Cheaper, quality food and wine. Worth buying it alone for the savings you make without foregoing quality. Excellent wine selection.

Its format is easy to use so you can use it immediately. Identifies nutritional information and products suitable for vegans, those with lactose&glucose intolerances and with nut&seed allergies. I found the info. on salt versus sodium very useful. E numbers & dietary advice also covered. References to web sites of interest included. A wealth of information.
on 28 May 2006
From: Catharine Arnold, Nottingham, UK

Martin Isark's excellent little book more than paid for itself within a couple of trips to my local supermarket. Isark's portable, easy to read guide has saved me money and introduced me to an excellent Single Speyside malt (read it yourself to find out which one!)
on 3 February 2013
very useful book. I have studied it and am saving money without sacrificing taste. A must for people who need value for money . veery pleased with this purchase!
on 22 September 2006
supermarket shopping is something all amazon shoppers probably hate but we all do it

this book makes it more fun to do so as it enables the reader to enhance value for money by making it easy to shop sensibly

it is obviously not a book to read at once or from back to front but it has certainly influenced my shopping and created my own favourites at different shops

started to read more seriously about wine a few years ago till great delight of my then partner

never thought i would do the same with cerials, curd and jam but the book certainly ads to the shopping and consuming experience

worth the money a few times over
on 30 November 2014
book as described good service thanks
on 13 October 2014