on 24 October 2006
So far, this is the book that we have both loved. It's written by a man with three children, who learned, like all of us, on the job. He's straight talking, encouraging, tells you how to, when to, why to. It's aimed at fathers, because there are too few books written for men about being a dad. I would recommend all the mums read it too, and get an insight into what's going on with the dad.

Each chapter is broken down into "what's going on with your partner", "what's going on with your baby", "what's going on with you". Nothing is missed. What might worry you, what will worry you. Cars, money, hospital appointments - should you go or not. Whether to be there at the birth. Conversations it would be useful to have. How to cope with it, what NOT to do and what NOT to say! What the baby is up to this month. What it's not up to. Tips on what to do to remain a couple, and not just a pair of sleepless zombies!

The man deserves a Nobel prize for writing it and the previous book The Expectant Father is also brilliant. BUY THEM. You won't regret it and you will be dipping in to them until your children leave home. And then handing them on when they have children!
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2010
Wow, what a read!

I bought this book as a present and thought that I'd quickly skim read it before giving it to the recipient but became so engrossed that I read this from cover to cover.

It is extremely informative without being condescending or patronising and is very easy to digest. It is well laid out with each month of a baby's first year covered in 12 separate chapters. The practical help is invaluable and any looming decisions become easy with all pros and cons of each situation clearly detailed, so that each person can make the right choice for them and their child. As well as providing an insight into the role of being a parent, the descriptions of each development stage that your baby will go through will prove invaluable together with analysing the emotions that each father and the baby's mother are likely to experience (guilt and anger included).

This book is a must read for all new parents, not just for fathers-to-be.
on 29 December 2013
stunning book, written in an easy to grasp context, and with the illustrations (humour) it makes the book very approachable for expecting dads. I say this is one of those - desert island - must haves. Brilliant - and so says the new dad !
on 20 December 2010
I bought this book to my husband when we were expecting our first baby. There are plenty of `mummy' books but very few for daddy. I liked the idea that book was written by farther which made it very handy and also funny (in nicest possible way). My husband really enjoyed reading it and me too. It helped him to understand what is happing to me, while pregnancy; how I can feel in first moments, hours, days after the birth and he was really supportive and some of my reactions weren't strange to him anymore. I am glad that one father took his time and shares his thoughts with other fathers to be and also can remind mothers that it is not only about mum and baby, but it is about mum, dad and baby.
on 5 July 2010
I bought the 'New Father Boxed Set' for my husband for Father's Day (or rather father-to-be day). It includes Dads Guide To The First Year Of Life and also Dads Guide To The Toddler Years. He's found the book really easy to read. It's divided into short sections which makes it great for picking up every now and then and digesting small chunks of information. Throughout the book it includes advice and information about how the mum might be coping/feeling. I'm hoping this will make my husband more sympathestic and helpful when the baby arrives! It's definately made my husband feel more involved and he's even teaching me things I didn't know.
It's a book not only for the dads. I couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up. I even ditched the book I was reading on Motherhood. It's clear and informative without being dictatorial or condescending. I'd recommend it to all couples who are expecting a child or already have a little one.
The only small negative I could mention is that being written by an American, it has a few American references in it. But this is by far outweighed by the overall Gem of a book it is!
BUY IT!!!!
on 30 November 2015
First time dad and a great easy read. Also gave it to the wife to read so she could see from a partners point of view of how to cope emotionally/physically and what we can do to help through pregnancy, labour and post pregnancy. Like the laid back approach in this book.
on 21 July 2009
This book was a really great read for my husband. It made him feel really involved and he got to teach me things I didn't know. I especially liked the way it explained the feelings I may be having which meant he could be sympathetic to my needs, without me having to explain or remind him.

We ended up reading the book as a couple in bed and I learned loads about my child and my partner. I think this even brought us closer together as parents.

We'd both definately recommend this book to all expectant couples.
on 3 November 2011
This is one of only two books I bought for my husband - I looked at loads and the vast majority are extremely patronising or treat the whole fathering thing as either a joke or a tedious chore. This book is really positive and practical (I learnt lots that wasn't in 'my' books!), serious about important issues but also lighthearted and playful - lots of great sections on nice ideas for playtime. Lovely book, highly recommended. (The other book I liked was How to be a Great Dad which also has a nice positive approach but less detail and probably better for older children.).
on 12 January 2013
Just like most dads to be, I didn't know much about babies and children until recently. This book seems to offer a very clear guide to the various changes which your baby, your partner and you are going through in the first year after the birth.

I loved that it is supported by enough evidence from the academic literature and it includes very clear summaries/tables of key baby development factors, such as baby reflexes, and vaccinations.
on 4 January 2014
I bought this as a guide for my partner before the birth of our first child as I thought he might like to prepare a little! I'd borrowed this from the library and after scouring the shops and seeing what little guide/advice books there were for men for impending fatherhood I thought this was the best and got it for him. He's not a keen reader but I re-read it and thought it was fab. Funny, insightful with advice and tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic anecdotes etc as well. This is by far the best book I have read for men as it can be serious in parts but also funny as well - it doesn't take it seriously all the time. Men who are feeling a bit scared, stressed and worried about what is to come should read this - great stuff!