Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 September 2003
This book is the most poignant and touching of the series so far. Vicky is a terrific heroine and I can't wait until Elizabeth Peters writes yet another Vicky novel.
The story opens as Vicky is dreaming of her good friend John, she has been worrying about him for a long time because he hasn't written in 6 weeks and he has a questionable profession, so Vicky worries about him.
As the story unfolds Vicky makes it to Egypt at last, only to find that John isn't as safe as she had hoped. He has married, but his wife is a dangerous killer, but he doesn't know that yet. Vicky is determined to help him, but she has many obstacles in her way. From old adversaries to new faces, this book is one big plot twist
I would recomend this book to just about anyone, it is perfect in everyway for the avid mystery reader, however if you would like to read the whole series i would recomend starting with Borrower of the Night or The Street of the Five Moons, and reading the other books first, it makes the story much easier to understand.
on 7 December 2011
I have read all of Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody and Vicky Bliss books, and have generally enjoyed them. This book was also pleasant, but I did feel that it went on a bit too long. There was perhaps at least one too many occasions when the heroes were captured, which then necessitated yet another escape. Also, Vicky Bliss is supposed to be giving lectures while on this cruise in Egypt, but never once is any hint of work or lecturing mentioned, which I felt made the plot a little less plausible and contrived. Don't get me wrong it was an enjoyable, fun read, it perhaps just went on for a little too long. Other reviewer's have mentioned the quantity of typing or spelling errors in the book, normally I don't tend to notice these, but they tended to crop up at times when they were most annoying, and on a few occasions I did have to re-read sentences and mentally correct the error in order for the book to make sense. Of course, this isn't the fault of the author or Amazon, but clearly someone in the printing or publishing process did not do their job properly. I also noticed that the book was very flimsy, the cover in particular was no where near as firm as a normal paperback cover, which gave the whole book a feeling of being printed and bound on the cheap. Having said all of that I will read the next book in the series, as I enjoyed this book for at least the first 300 pages before it became a little tedious. I find that when Elizabeth Peter's books get close to 400 pages or more they do tend to suffer a little, perhaps the author or publisher should do a little more editing before publishing takes place. I would also urge any new readers to this series to start with an earlier book, as the characters and their relationship to each other will make more sense and the book will be more enjoyable if you start at the beginning and work your way through.
on 5 October 2008
as with all of E.P.'s books this one was great - I agree totally with the above reviewer ...BUT this edition is so full of typos that it was almost difficult to read -- if you can find a different edition buy it instead .....
on 16 April 2016
This is absolutely wonderful. It is a long book, but so full of adventure, of all sorts. Country music, plus some theft, emotional blackmail, revenge & friendship - more indeed. Oh & love, let us not forget love.
on 13 October 2015
This is my first encounter with the Vicky Bliss series, which I chose after reading several novels in the Amelia Peabody series (same author). For me this novel is just not as addictive as the Amelia Peabody series as Peters' style of writing is very different. The pace seems slower and more ponderous; the characters less lifelike.
on 20 January 2003
This book is excellent and in every page there are terrific examples of Egytian Scenery, including the Sphinx and several tombs of ancient Egypt. The history is quite well researched as well.
The murders in this story are not at all gruesome which is excellent for a person whom is a bit squemish such as myself. There are the refrences only approach to these murders and I for one appreciate this!
on 10 August 2012
I like Elizabeth Peters writing which is the reason I bought this book from Amazon for reading on my Kindle. It is a bit involved as far as characters are concerned: is he one of the good ones, or she one of the baddies; is anyone quite who they say they are. Description of the ancient sites was good and interesting, particularly including the names like Nefertiti and King Tut which gives the story a bit of credibility. I found John a bit far fetched but he came true in the end which as far as Vicky Bliss was concerned was the right thing. But she had muddled through to the thievery going on and that was the main thing.
on 8 March 2013
This finishes the epilogues to the Peabodys. The clues are subtle and delicious. The actual story is exciting and well crafted. I may start to collect others Peters novels now!
Order was swiftly filled and arrived safely. many thanks
on 9 May 2012
I haven't read this author before but I'm finding this book an easy and relaxing read. It's part of a series and I may read the others at some time. Not gripping or intellectual but entertaining and a good way to relax at bedtime.
on 3 October 2015
Loads of action & adventure in this one with our heroine getting into all sorts of danger. Enjoyable book with all the usual adventure, action & romance you expect. Good ending.