Customer reviews

on 20 December 2006
I read this book after a number of people had recommended it to me.

Honestly, I thought it was well written and continually interesting.

As a foreign woman who lives in the region, I thought it depicted the goings on of 'todays arab youth' very accurately.

Yes there are those interested in the religion and try to live their life by it and then there are those who are not in the slightest bit interested.

There are religious girls who don't wear the veil and there are veiled girls who are not religious.

Well done for putting a different angle on a topic that is continually misrepresented.
on 1 November 2006
I bought this book while visiting Dubai (Sep 2006- which is an experience in it self). As I held the book I was approached by a shopgirl who strongly recommended it saying her Arabic customers were very enthusiastic and claimed that this was a very good reflection of their lives.

I enjoyed the read and found the tone of writing stylish and modern without it being over-done. The subject matter is interesting and I feel I now know more about life of women my age in the Middle East. A lot has happend since Allegra (the author) wrote this book in 2004 and I would love to know how she sees all this and if she ever did meet AK.
on 18 May 2013
I liked the information giving in the book about the arab Youth in the middle east, I am arab myself (but I live in Europe) and I could relate to a lot of the things written in this book. What i did not like is the way the author tells the story, it sometimes get so loooong and boring making me wanna skip a chapter or two. Oh and one other thing, I did not know it would contain a lot of political content about various historical moments, but it did.. but great book and got delivered on time in a good shape :)