on 8 March 2013
This book is very easy to read and does an excellent job of explaining how sleep works, what sort of sleep you should expect to have based on your age. I am into 4 week of the program and I am finding that I have a "much better relationship with sleep" meaning that I do not lie awake any more anxious that I am not sleeping, that does not mean that I have stopped my insomnia but I am no longer anxious about sleep and feel the quality of my sleep is already improving. The exercises you get certainly help you to get to this stage by modifying certain behaviours, improving your sleep environment and learning how to relax . I would definately recommend this book for anyone with trouble getting off to sleep or waking during the night and having long periods of wakefulness. I am hopeful by continuing with the program I will eventually get "good quality sleep" and awake feeling refreshed and rested, which is my personal goal!!
on 12 April 2014
The author has a serious style and methodical approach which demands organisation and discipline from the reader, which means that the results should be worth the trouble. However, he explains that not all sleeplessness is due to the causes which he addresses, and certain conditions need specialist treatment before his procedure can be effective.
on 11 October 2013
As a long term insomniac (waking in the night and feeling rubbish next day) this has actually changed the way I sleep. It took about a month of slight sleep deprivation to readjust my sleep patterns and have slept well now for a month - and not stressed by sleep. I had never heard of the sleep-scheduling that is recommended which is simple stuff but seems to work. The reseacrh seems well backed up which gives an air of confidence about the recommendations. So far, it works well
on 30 April 2016
Working as a therapist, I have used this book for clients with insomnia and found it an invaluable tool for professionals and non-professionals alike. I've found it works fantastically as an adjunct to therapy, and even provides structure to sessions for therapists to use with clients whilst the client reads the book at home. It includes all you need to know for understanding the factors that keep insomnia going and how to address these, step by step. The CBT techniques are clearly explained and sound, evidence-based rationales are provided. It's written in user-friendly language that is clear and non-patronising - very readable. For people with insomnia and those working with people with insomnia, I'd highly recommend purchasing this book.
on 9 July 2016
I have suffered from insomnia for 12 years and tried everything...except reading this book, Colin you totally got what I was dealing with when no one else really understands insomnia, I cannot thank you enough. Don't get me wrong this is not an easy route it is hardcore at times and I definitely don't always do what is demanded from the book but when I do it works, thank you.
on 15 November 2014
I purchased this book so as to help my Dad who has been having problems sleeping. I think at this stage, it is to early to say whether or not this book has been of assistance for my Dad. I am hoping given more time this book will help my Dad to overcome his sleeping problems.
on 1 April 2015
This is the go-to book for Insomniacs. Carefully and clearly written with years of research behind it. Colin Espie is the leading authority on Insomnia. His programme has been developed using proven and validated techniques. It's a must read for anyone who has ever struggled with insomnia.
on 29 January 2013
Really good advice. I already had some of the more detailed suggestions from my GP but after suffering from patches of insomnia since my youth it put forward further suggestions on how to achieve better sleep patterns.
on 1 September 2013
The author encourages you to start at the beginning and not jump to the second part, as there is much to be understood about sleep before you embark on the programme. The first three weeks were relatively easy but I got stuck on the 4th week and have had to compromise with the instructions, but my sleep has improved over the weeks and 4 moths later I am still keeping my sleep diary, which I find quite interesting.
It does require effort and dedication, so not a book to be dipped into, but very worthwhile if you give it a go.
on 4 November 2012
I used this book while having CBT sessions with a clinincal psychologist on the NHS via my GP. It was all helpful but didn't "cure" the problem entirely. It did change my perspective on sleeping problems but ultimately my sleep got better when the issues in my day time resolved. I have also used medication prescribed by my GP which has assisted.