on 1 May 2010
Sophie King's straight-forward, no nonsense approach to the art of novel writing was just what I was looking for - she demystifies an otherwise confusing process. Instead of offering a pre-packaged 'recipe' (as I've found so many similar books to do) - Sophie encouraged me to develop my own style with helpful tips and exercises - while at the same giving enough guidance to keep me from going too far astray. I highly recommend this book to all aspiring novelists. From the first page to the last, it's clear Sophie has had many years of teaching others the art form which she herself has perfected so well.
on 3 June 2013
This book has now become my most used book on my shelf. It is really well written and the advice given is very useful and it makes it easy to understand what is being said! It has really helped me knuckle down and write my book! Thank you Sophie King for this wonderful tome! :)
on 13 November 2012
This book doesn't contain a single perceptive insight or piece of advice.

It does contain:
Plugging for the author's own novels,
Tips on how to fit writing around looking after your children,
Pathetic America- style self help motivational rubbish.

Seriously, I'm glad I got this from the library and didn't waste any money on it. To give an example of a piece of advice she gives: look at pictures in a magazine for inspiration.
This is written for morons.
on 1 January 2014
I have read this almost cover to cover. I found it both informative and easy to follow. I made many notes from it and have started a novel with more confidence than I had before.
on 10 August 2013
This book contained a lot of extracts from Sophie King's own books so it really was just a publicity puff for her. I would not advise any would-be authors to bother with it.
on 10 June 2010
Sophie King's book `How to Write Your First Novel' is the most informative and exciting book I have read about writing in many years (and there have been quite a few!)
I have read this book from begining to end twice already and I am constantly dipping into it for advice. Although the `usual suspects' are there (unavoidable in any book about novel writing), areas such as plot, dialogue and viewpoint are written and explained in no-nonsense layman's language without being patronising. It's like having a best (and published!) friend sitting next to you just waiting to help. There are also plenty of Exercises if you feel you want to hone your writing skills as you read; I have just completed my second Creative Writing course, but these exercises were completely fresh to me.
Ms King even gives advice, at the back of the book, on how to write your next novel and her final chapter entitled `Don't Skip This...It might help!' is the icing on a very well-made and irresistable cake.

Wonderful, innovative and endlessly helpful - if you only buy one `How To Write' book, make it this one!
on 18 June 2010
This work gives sound and helpful advice about all aspects of writing that first novel. It makes putting pen to paper, or rather fingers to keyboard, a much less daunting task. Good.
on 10 August 2012
Sophie King's book isn't a bad one. It certainly has some useful insight and tips in to the preparation and development of a novel, but it is brazenly aimed just at women, and women alone. I bought this book and whilst following its helpful tips, quickly grew tired of all the examples that went something like this: "Maybe your heroine in your novel is having trouble finding a man! Or she meets a romantic lover after dropping her children off at school!" King gives the impression that only women like to write novels, and that males shouldn't even be considered. It seems that every hint or tip is just designed purely for women, making it difficult for me to relate to the message she is conveying, (no, King, I do not know what it is like to have my man leave me with my three kids) etc. This book would have been much better had it taken into account both sexes. To this I say, if you are a woman and want to write the kind of stuff other women read, this is the book for you. If you are a male reader and aspiring novelist, avoid this book and look elsewhere.
on 19 March 2014
Basic book, a bit repetitive but easy to read. It gives the basic notions to write a book so it is perfect for beginners or amateurs. It gives you some hints on how to move on in moments of weakness (=when you have no imagination, for instance).
on 2 July 2013
This is more a motivational cheer fest than serious writing advice. I've read one of King's books, and it was very forgettable. This is full of excessive exclamation marks and the most basic advice imaginable. King's writing also doesn't fill me with confidence that she knows what she's talking about.

I don't think this is the worst writing book out there, but I wouldn't even pay the offer price for it. There is much better advice out there, and I personally would save the money towards a more expensive but more useful book.