on 23 November 2010
`How to write an Impressive CV' is by far the best book I have seen on the increasingly complex subject of CV writing. I had confidence in the CV I was using and indeed worked hard to compile the information and make it readable. I did get somewhere but I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had used Ms Whitmore's book from the start

I selected a format from this book that I felt would suit my experience and followed the advice. I liked the fact that there were many examples of what constitutes a good CV. These were included on an attached CDR. I really liked being able t0o browse through these examples and select those that I felt were particularly pertinent to my situation.

What is good about this book is that it also includes examples of good practise with regard to cover letters. Other authors try to get you to buy a further book on covering letters whilst here you have both combined.

Ms Whitmore has a clear concise style and doesn't over complicate. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 20 March 2017
Although my son had already revised and altered his CV this book gave him even more pointers and helped we believe in getting interviews.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 November 2017
Book was in good shape but cd is missing
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 February 2011
On reviewing the book, I was not that really impressed as it seems to be like all other books on CV,s. Always focusing and drawing on examples from businesses that are money orientated. Not all job vacancies are money targeted but all the examples used and explained in the book are, and therefore found it difficult in identifying any examples that refer to job experience not profit geared. On a positive note it is ideal for young adults and students wanting knowledge on the basic's and understanding of how a CV should work to promote themselves in the more than ever competitive job market. The layout of chapters are very simple to follow and easy to build your own CV. The CD-Rom that accompanies the book has great CV templates, CV examples (all business orientated) and examples of covering letters. Rated as Average.
on 26 July 2009
An excellent book which helps and guides you in the right direction. A CV is vital for your career so this is a welcome relief to those of us who struggle to produce a concise document.

I used this to move from one industry to another so highlighting and emphasising my relevant points and strong abilities was vital.

I highly recommend this for the real-life examples used which you will find covers an area that you specialise in.

I have rarely, if ever, given a review previoously but wanted to add my comments to this publication.

Well done and thanks!!
on 7 January 2010
Writing a CV can be daunting.And if you are desperate to leave your current role or have been made redundant, you may not be in the best frame of mind to present your skills and experience in a positive way. Then this excellent book comes along, showing you how the CV writing process can help you.The book gives examples of different types of CVs and when to use them.The accompanying CD comes with templates so you can use them if needed.If you haven't had to apply for a job for a long time, this book will bring you up to date on what prospective employers expect to see. It is an excellent book, and certainly worth purchasing, and the price from Amazon is also very good value for money.I thought my CV was quite good until i saw the examples from this book. It has very useful hints and tips for now or at a later date. You won't be dissapointed.
on 21 July 2009
Incredibly informative book, taking you through the steps needed to create an impressive CV. Great examples show you how. If you are moving on in your career and need a little extra help to get there, look no further.
on 9 August 2009
I loved the way this book is laid out in such a clear way with lots of examples - showing CVs 'before and after' this book has been followed.

What is really helpful too is providing rules and ideas for tackling different situations e.g. where you don't have enough experience, or how to achieve the most impact. The action words appendix at the back was really useful too!

Overall, this book is motivational and easy to follow. Even those with an up-to-date CV would benefit from running through this book. There is lots to learn!
on 15 May 2010
As a dyslexic I often find books like this too complicated and academic. This is a fantastic clear and concise book that made it easy for me to make my CV much better! The proof is in the pudding and applying for new jobs I have been getting calls straight away and compliments on my CV (so far and I hope this continues!). The cover letter section is really good and I realise that my cover letters over the years have not done anything to sell me. I really recommend this book.
on 21 August 2009
An informative and user friendly guide to updating your CV and cover letter. Having just completed my Masters Degree I am ready to progress with my career and need to have a professional CV that will get noticed in todays competitive market. This book is a 'must have', offering a step to step guide with excellent real life examples on how to create that impressive CV!