Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2010
The enormous amount of historical data and records now available online have changed the approach and rapidly reduced the amount of time and cost required to research your family tree.

Some family history research books now seem quite dated and don't reflect the latest techniques available. Other books about online research seem to be simple directories of relevant websites. Family tree programs often include manuals on how to use the program, but not how to do the research itself.

I found this book very easy to read and well presented. It walked through the process of how to use the various online databases to build your tree. Not everything can be done online of course, and the book explained where to draw the line. To me this would be a good, straightforward introductory book ideal as a gift (or for yourself) for someone about to start on their research.

Specifically appropriate for UK readers, although references to other countries records is included.
on 26 February 2010
If you're setting out to research your family then you will need to know your way around the internet and this book is a good place to start. It covers many subjects that you may not have considered and for the price it is worth having on the book shelf.
on 3 September 2011
This is a very useful book. perfect for Family Historians who primarily use the internet for their research. I would thoroughly recommend it.
on 10 May 2012
I got this for my mother as she is doing our family tree she says it was helpful, we hit alot of brick walls and have exhusted everyother root, this lays things out clearly and give you new ways to approach trying to find missing relatives.
Mum was happy with it.
on 12 August 2011
This book demonstrates how the internet has transformed family history from the preserve of learned genealogists to one of the world's most popular amateur hobbies. No more draughty churchyards or dusty records offices, it shows you where to look at the click of a mouse from the comfort of your living room.
on 16 November 2009
I think it is one of the best books on the subject for beginners.

Your Family Tree Online - Graeme Davis
on 26 August 2015
I am deep into tracing the ancestors, dad's side done back to the 1500's (thanks to a cousin I didn't know existed!) and now I'm doing mum's side. It is so addictive and I wish I had 48 hours in a day. This book is another very useful tool in the kit. I have quite a collection now and can always find what I want.
on 24 January 2016
Christmas present for my father, who has become interested in tracing his family tree as he has gotten older.
Not sure what the results are yet, but he is pleased with it.

Note that this seems to be a cheaper alternative to the subscription websites for tracing your family which cost a fortune.
on 16 January 2014
I am tracing my family tree and this book helps me with websites that have info. Living in Scotland it is hard to get information without going to Register House, so any help I can get is great. I haven't read it all but as a reference book its great, thank you
on 16 January 2014
Well written and informative ,a great aid in research outside the normal use of the available censuses a excellent book