on 14 May 2013
I have to be honest and say tht I did not enjoy this as much as other reviewers …
I found the writing style dry, and unengaging. I do not doubt the authors knowledge but the text as a whole was dull. Instead of the little homilies at the end of each chapter, I would pefer case studies and if I never read another poem by Norman again, my anxiety will at least stayas it is.
Perhaps I am a self-help book junkie, but I have read much more powerful and effective books.
on 20 April 2009
This book wss easy to read, can be dipped into as required and gives a good insight into the causes and help for sufferers of anxiety.
on 10 March 2009
Don't Mention The Snow!

I've been reading a book by Emma Fletcher and Martha Langley called Free Yourself From Anxiety and I'd like to write about a particular section of this book that I am finding especially helpful. It is the part that deals with questioning one's beliefs and I've been using it to help me to overcome agoraphobia.

A few weekends ago I stuck the questions (from page 167) on to a postcard - a neat, portable prompt, had an early night, slept well and woke up next morning full of renewed enthusiasm and determination, threw back the curtains.... only to find thick snow and it was still falling! If I had ventured out then I would have been more concerned with staying on my feet than reading a prompt card.

Seriously I found the book full of sensible, basic and practical advice. It takes the fear out of anxiety situations.

During the ensuing fortnight, whilst we were effectively snowed in, I used the time to practise some of the breathing and relaxation exercises recommended in the book. When I could finally venture out I found these techniques kept my anxiety levels within manageable boundaries, so that I could then take the time to stop and consider the prompt questions, rather than simply rushing back home.

It also gives a list of helpline numbers, and I've had a lot of help from First Steps to Freedom {}. I think anyone who has this book and the number of this helpline is bound to make progress!
on 16 November 2009
Really was an eye opener when I first started reading, anyone who suffers from anxiety will benefit hugely from even being aware that other people have suffered from this and there are many practical and useful tips for help dealing with anxiety. It may not be an immediate cure for everyone but knowing you can deal with stressful situations in a positive manner will drive you forward and help you to help yourself, whic is basically what this book is about. It shouldn't be viewed as answer but it certainly gets you there by forcong you to confront your problem and tackle it in a healthy and positive manner. Hugely impressed, the breathing tips in particular were exactly what I felt I needed. I still get anxious but I can now control them and I firmly believe that with some basic lifestyle changes most people will find this book just as important as I did.
on 29 June 2015
I read this book partly as research and partly to better understand anxieties that affect us all in our lives at some time. I found it both engaging and informative, and I highly recommend it to anyone seeking an understanding of anxieties and how to combat them.
on 17 March 2014
was disappointed with this. was advertised as 268 pages however the font is so large that in reality it doesnt equate to anything more than 50 pages.

sadly there is nothing new here that i cant find in any other anxiety book or on the nhs website.
on 29 May 2013
I found this book 'by accident' when scrolling for suitable reading material. I have found the content very helpful and easy to understand.
I intend to obtain a paper copy to use as a workbook, for day to day usage.
on 21 April 2014
Thought I would find a different angle to this book but it would seem clear that only the words have been re-arranged. It is yet another book in the same vein as many others on the subject. Bit disappointing.
on 2 December 2011
I have had anxiety for around about a year now and felt like it was best just to give up, but after reading this book has change it, I feel like I can get better and overcome anxiety and become a better person out of this it has really opened my eyes to a better life after having an anxiety problem, it really helps you, but this book won't cure your anxiety it will put you on the right road for recovery.
If you suffer from any forms of anxiety then buy this book it has really helped me out over the last few months

on 15 June 2009
As a psychotherapist, I found this book to be extremely useful. The information is practical and is applicable to real life situations. It allows the client to take responsibility for the process thereby empowering him or her. It is thorough and has a strong application component, even addressing some of the more difficult issues which other books overlook, including OCD. This is definitely a book which I will refer to as well as recommend to clients.