on 23 June 2005
This book has given me the inspiration and practical guidance I need to get my business up and running. I've been stalling for some time, but this book has been the only one I could find on the market to offer just the right combination of traditional business stuff and ideas, with more modern exercises to really incite action and get me inspired and moving forward! I really know where I am going and how I'm going to get there now I've completed all the workbook exercises and found the useful resources and start-up checklist really useful too. Brilliant!
on 4 October 2005
This book is absolutely superb!! It really gives you a unique insight into what's required in running a successful business. Cheryl really knows what she is talking about. There are millions of books out there on how to start your own business, but I think this one really does stand out from the crowd. A pleasant and enjoyable read. Keep up the good work Cheryl!!!!
on 8 July 2005
This is the kind of book I'd been looking for - one that made you want to read on, rather than made you have to read the page again or just stop. I found it inspirational and extremely useful, especially with the checklists and the fact that it is a workbook, not just a book, so you complete the exercises and are ready to go. I can't recommend this book enough.
on 6 February 2009
I have been self-employed for many years and my business is all about running training courses and giving advice for others who are starting their own small businesses. I have read most, if not all, the books published about starting your own business and I am quite certain that this is, without doubt, the best one of the lot.

It is written in a very easy to understand style, contains loads of common sense and practical hints and tips about how to set up and plan your business. It will guide you though all the various stages you need to address to get your business organised in the best way for you and will undoubtedly inspire you to do well.

If you only want to buy one book about being your own boss, this is certainly the one for you, without a doubt. Buy it with confidence and I am sure it will help you succeed in your business.
on 26 July 2012
I read the e-book on Kindle.

1. Very positive points include the various tips on web marketing, social media and sales generally.

2. Positive points are the reasonably relevant quotes and experiences from people who have made it in business plus (some) motivational phrases peppered throughout the book.

3. Negative points include too many quotes, especially from the late Dame Anita (who is actually a co-author and makes this seem a little biased) and the general over-emphasis on self promotion. Also the numerous spelling and grammatical errors should not occur in a business book that promotes getting things right in business and especially from a copy writer.

4. Very negative points are the errors in the book about finance and especially the really fundamental and basic mistake of mixing up profit with cash (you pay the bills from cash not profit). The Business Plan advice is not focused enough.

Overall, in my opinion this is a reasonable book but it needs to be more practical and has to be absolutely accurate in its advice on finance, an aspect that in my experience most business owners need to master better so they can survive and grow.
on 20 February 2006
I've bought most of the top 10 business books and have found this to be the best one - partly because it is so easy to read and digest, partly because of the pearls of wisdom from well-known entrepreneurs (including the lessons learned sections about what they'd do differently with hindsight) and partly because of all the really useful exercises peppered throughout that get you to do something practical to drive the business forward. Congrats to the author on a truly inspiration read that incites action. Can't recommend this book highly enough!
on 12 April 2007
A brilliant book. It explains every detail of what you need to start up a business. It also gives you tips from well known personnel from big firms about starting up and the challenges and hurdles you will face along the way. I am now more than prepared to start my own business... A must read for any entrepeneur.
on 17 October 2007
My wife bought this book for me to help me achieve a dream.

Without a doubt, I'd not be so far advanced and positive about a small business future without it.
Cheryl holds your hand and guides you through each step of the start-up process. All your considerations, your ideas and even doubts are discussed. Even better, there's practical exercises to get your thoughts going and push you forward.
The advice and exerpts from successes and failures of business provide excellent ideas, inspiration and guidance.
If you buy just one book to help you start your business - make it this one.
on 13 October 2008
I bought a number of start-up books to help get to grips with starting my new business. This was by far the best. I still refer back to it. It is well written and informative throughout. (So good, I felt compelled to write my first ever Amazon review.)
on 25 February 2010
I've read many business / rich books & run a small business - this is the best by a mile. In a nutshell business is about you and your reasons for starting (are they positive?), the market (if it's declining, forget it), the product (is it wanted? Is it something you like doing?), your work ethic (can you actually deliver your idea?), sales (no sales = no biz!), money (spending your day to day float will kill you off). You will also have to deal with lots of day to day crap, lost items, sadistic customers and if you like variety - great! - your wage varies every month according to demand / season, competitor's prices & new competitors. Oh and jealous ex work colleagues who mistake flexibility for free time ("wish I could just take an afternoon off when I like") with the inferral that you are lazy even though you work all evening. You will be doing all the jobs a big company has to do, but has the capacity to create departments for - product development, finance, marketing, sales, customer service, returns, purchasing, caretaker, picker-packer, etc - all by yourself. That variety sounds great - but in reality IT can end up controlling YOU and every job seems like firefighting after a while. You get freedom - but like all things, it comes at a cost. And you also get freedom to make plenty of cock ups.