Customer reviews

on 25 June 2009
I stumbled across Dorothea Smartt online by chance... and Ive never looked back. Im not a big poetry buff but what I love about this, is its not over sentimental... it has something to say. As a mixed race woman growing up in Britain I can identify with her characters and stories.

I personally think this should be made one of the recommended GCSE texts. This is an excellent representation of a successful articulate (something im not when writing this at 5.30am!) black British woman, a role model who should be used to engage young teenagers, especially those from BME backgrounds, with poetry. This poetry 'speaks' to you, young or old. Its not just for minority groups, as the poetry spans several subject matters... family, slavery, feminism, and concepts of beauty. Dorothea uses different 'voices', either British or Caribbean alongside tone, rhythm and rhyme which create a variety of literary textures.

I am not into poetry. I bought this book, then ordered Connecting Medium (which was a longer wait as its an older print - but I set aside my impatience because this book was so good). I have 3 poetry books. 2 are by Dorothea Smartt.