on 24 June 2017
What a superb guide book. Wainwright by name, Wainwright by quality. Excellent.
on 9 July 2007
A very thoughtful guide to the coast-to-coast walk. With detailed maps of the routes, alternative routes and good descriptions.

The walks are broken down into manageable "days", but written in a way that you could equally break the walks down differently should you think you could manage more (or less) a day. I especially like the anecdotal tales in each day's walk - and there are little hints that are very useful. You can't beat knowing that you're just passing the last cashpoint for a couple of days!
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2010
I have just completed the C2C and used this book to help. It was a useful tool with helpful information and points of interest. I had no problem using it and for the early stages read it through together with an OS map which I then used day to day.

The last couple of days I just used the book and it was easy to follow with clear maps.

My only thoughts are it would have been useful to have mile tags on the map/route and a cumulative milage on the section milage page and at the start of each section summary description.

The one thing with any guide like this is it is like looking in a tunnel as you loose the perspective of the wider map.

Glad I purchased it.
on 5 February 2014
Although I had done the Coast to Coast walk twice before, the last time was a number of years ago, 2004 in fact. I therefore needed an up to date, clearly written, clearly presented, clearly mapped book, which would fit into the map pocket of my jacket. The maps used in Martin Wainwright's book are based on the Ordnance Survey 1 : 25000 scale Explorer maps and consequently are of a high standard. However, whilst over the years I have met walkers taking only a guide book with them on a long distance path, I would always recommend carrying appropriate maps. To me, any guide book, no matter how good, is an additional safety back up, a reference source and something to read at end of a long day's walk.
on 29 June 2014
I bought the Martin Wainwright book and Sandra Bardwell Coast to Coast. Sandra's book is far superior in terms of navigation and I would urge you not to buy the Martin Wainwright book as your sole guide.It is inaccurate in many instances and opiniated.Talking to other walkers on the way they agreed with my comments.The maps are good if you stray off the path but sometimes th OS maps are just too detailed;contain too much information.Just pick up the Sandra Bardwell book and see her maps.They give you all you need.Background info is fine if you are reading in a quiet B&B at the end of the day but open this book in on a rainy day on the moors, with your glasses steamed up: it doesnt merit 4 stars.I would give it 2 stars
on 16 April 2014
I saw this in Waterstones at 12.99, and bought it from Amazon at under ten pounds, thinking it would compliment the Stedman book by including OS 25k mapping. Well the book is well printed with rounded corners, nice pictures along with good background information about places along the C2C.
Unfortunately what it is not good at is guiding me along the C2C, particularly as the author describes his adventures in mid winter when he describes the stepped trail up Lining Crag as 'they can become an impassable staircase of ice' and later refers to 'Grisedale Tarn . . was frozen'. Like everybody except the author I will be walking the C2C in Spring/Summer/Autumn and I expect the route to be described for these 'non frozen' conditions.
Surely the first objective of a C2C book is to accurately describe the route. While Stedman provides detailed sketch maps of every stage - good unless you stray off the route when you will need a seperate map to get back on the C2C - Wainright's descriptions seem rather vague; not once does he quote a compass direction eg NE anywhere along the route, there no timings you would be able to judge your progress against, no distances except for the full day's stage, and no gps waypoints. How a book published in 2012 can have missed so many factors that are important to accurately navigating the C2C for users like myself seems almost criminal.
This book's one saving grace is in licencing the OS 25k mapping. My advice is take these pages out of the book and use the map sections with the Stedman book which itself is not perfect but is so much better than Martin Wainright's.
on 5 September 2011
excellant guide book, precise in detail, well written, good graphics very well laid out and easy to follow. Good value for money.
on 4 March 2013
This book grew on me as I completed the Coast To Coast walk, after a few days I just kept the OS maps folded up in my rucksack and just worked from the maps in this book. This is a lot easier than regular map origami. Commentary is good and several times we took the alternative routes suggested eg Helvellyn & Striding Edge etc. I strongly recommend this book if you are doing the walk.
on 8 July 2009
We bought this book specifically to prepare ourselves for the coast to coast walk. We found the information it contained perfect for our needs and we are ready to go in August with all accommodation booked. The splitting of each day of the walk into a separate chapter is an excellent idea and the walk will be more enjoyable as a result of the descriptions of what we can expect to see.
VINE VOICEon 16 June 2010
This is a well-written, clearly-presented guidebook. The newer edition (or reprint) is clearer than the local library copy I sampled. It's a pity it doesn't have a plasticised cover, as mine is looking tatty even before I set off. I hope the instructions are as clear as they seem.