on 15 December 2011
Unfortunate English is alive and well and in the pages of this hilarious book that would make an ideal present after reading, as once told a joke is not funny the second time out.
My only downside comment is that there are too many of the usual foreign cross meaning and translation jokes, and not enough of the home grown variety.
Anyway, buy it and laugh! Delivered with classic Amazon speed and efficiency, by the way.
Malcolm Parkin
on 16 November 2011
Lots of chuckles and very suitable to leave in the downstairs loo. A pity that the quality of photo reproduction isn't generally better and a bit pricey for what it is, but enjoyable.
on 19 December 2012
This looked like a great Christmas present idea, and it might well be... for you. However potential purchasers need to be aware that this book (and the second volume, ordered at the same time) have an extensive "x-rated" section of signs with overt sexual meaning, not even double entendres. This may be a plus for you, but sadly this means it is unsuitable as a gift for the person I had hoped would find the book amusing.
on 8 July 2016
Spotted this when looking for another book, and was so intrigued with the title, I just had to buy it. Boy! am I glad I did, it has given me a lot of pleasure, and made me laugh so hard at times, I thought I might choke. The way things are translated into English in foreign countries is priceless. Then there are signs which would read better if they had used punctuation marks, such as 'Cats Eyes Removed', to 'Elephants Keep Car Doors Closed'. I didn't know that Elephants could drive, so that is something new I have learnt from the book. Anyway, it is a great book, lots of funny signs which were meant to be serious, so give it a go. Just don't lend it to your great Aunt, the one with the heart condition, as it could be fatal!!
on 29 December 2011
Amusing book and raised a few chuckles. But the funniest one is the one on the front cover. So a bit disappointing.
on 13 November 2014
Most of us have enjoyed making fun of menus in foreign countries when on holiday. They use the internet to get online translators and I often think it would be a nice job to proof-read where invited and move on to the next country with all expenses paid.

Would you want to eat ‘fresh crap’ (crab?) Or ‘chicken from your mother? To drink ‘arse wine’?

There’s a ‘semen market’ in Istanbul.

Some Spanish fireworks are called ‘Ars Cracks’.

And is this furniture - ‘fresh soft stools’?

Serbia sells’Slag Yoghurt’.

You don’t have to go abroad to have a laugh. ‘Illegally parked cars will be fine’.

In the US ‘Try our new anus burger.’

‘This is the back door. The front door is at the back’ – Kinsale, Ireland.

‘We do chicken rightS’ – KFC

Visit the ‘Arousal café in Barmouth, Wales.

You can get ‘Cock Soup Mix’ in my corner shop – it’s made in Swindon.

In Chessington World Adventures, UK there’s a sign that reads ‘Private Parts - access to staff only.’

Ohio dry cleaners has a big sign that reads, ‘Drop your pants here.’
on 2 November 2013
Well, everyone like a good laugh at the expense of the ignorant, the foreign and those with a tin ear for words, don't they, and this fits the bill. It's laugh-out-loud hilarious - don't read it when other people are present - and I love it.
on 25 November 2012
A great book and hilarious. A good read and great fun. Should be in everyone's Christmas stocking. Bought it for a Christmas stocking but had to read it first and glad I did, otherwise I would have missed a good laugh. Highly recommended as a good bit of light relief.
on 7 December 2011
It's a really funny book, so good in fact that I bought three for members of my family as little stocking fillers for Christmas.
on 17 January 2013
We laughed at many of these - keep collecting these. It is good to laugh out loud! We remember a good sign on a wall in Muscat. The wall was low with spikes pointing out of it and a sign saying " do not sit". Ouch!