on 19 July 2017
Not at all for me, it was repetitive to the point of rambling.
I understand in the time this was set, diction, pronunciation etc. was different from modern day but it was uncomfortable to read.
The sexism, social class distinction which yes of course existed made it all the more difficult to read, that should not be glorified, it felt to me that the author enjoyed quoting some of these examples. The work done at Bletchley Park was fabulous, the people who worked there were clever, admirable and they of course are and should be applauded but this book did nothing to endear me, enlighten me or instil admiration I only plodded through it as it was for a book club.
on 6 April 2017
This was my first book on Bletchley Park. Very informative and an excellent portrayal of the hidden life of one of the important, if not the most important contributions to victory in WWII. The book makes the Bletchley intellectual youngsters so believable! I hope to go into more books by Sinclair McKay.
on 14 August 2017
good background material
on 20 July 2017
brill history book
on 23 August 2017
Excellent - different perspective on the BP story.
on 17 October 2015
Have visited Bletchley Park and this filled in some of the gaps. great
on 15 July 2010
This book is rivetting. I know we've all been told quite a bit about Bletchley Park since the wraps were removed, but this book makes one realise how absolutely extraordinary a place it was; and how amazingly extraordinary were the girls and boys, men and women who worked there. It is wonderfully human in its descriptions of personalities and is better than any novel I have ever read set in this period and a similar background. It shows how beautifully English-amateurish and ad hoc was the setting up and gathering of suitable personnel; and how very well-chosen and suitable they all were ! Doubt it would be allowed to happen today ! And how much we owe them all can never ever be calculated. I'm so glad this has been written and published whilst so many of them are able to receive this salute to their loyalty and commitment. We owe them our un-dying gratitude....literally !
11 Comment| 178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2017
Excellent
on 11 March 2014
Interesting read and now purchased the follow up book - enjoyed so much a trip to Bletchley Park is now on the cards.
on 14 October 2017
My husband is enjoying it very much