Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 November 2010
I began by selecting an entry at random and ended up reading this in full. I suspect many other readers will become similarly hooked. It is fascinating: witty and erudite and thought-provoking. I have resurfaced with many anecdotes (Warhol, and Marilyn Monroe, and Churchill) that I am sure I will be retelling throughout the party season. The book is also quite right that we should be thinking more seriously about why we are sniffy about waste products, when we should be much more socially alarmed by the consequence of wasting them.
on 26 December 2010
A fascinating book but unfortunately the print size is very small so I could only read it in a bright light and my husband couldn't read it at all.

The book is written in chapters in alphabetical order so can be dipped into rather than read at one sitting. It is packed with information that you long to pass on to someone else. Don't become a pee bore. Buy the book and then send it on to someonelse as a POOK book (Pass On Or Keep). When you meet you can exchange favourite pee facts. However, despite many, many references to the benefits of drinking your own pee I have decided to stick with orange juice in the morning.
on 13 April 2013
What a glorious celebration of an aspect of being human we prefer to ignore unless or until something goes wrong. It seems our forebears were far more cognisant than us about the importance and value of urine. Having been obliged to measure my output daily for the benefit of numerous medics recently, this book proved a welcome tonic. Hopefully no one is going to ask me to start drinking the stuff anytime soon!
on 16 November 2010
Interesting, humorous, enjoyable and strongly recommended. The Life of Pee is a fun book, bursting with peculiar facts and witty anecdotes, all delivered simply and eloquently by the author. Who ever knew a book about pee could be so interesting!
on 6 March 2011
The subject is a taboo, and discussions of urine tend to be either scientific or juvenile. This is neither, and the result is a fascinating book.

Running A-Z style through a collection of anecdotes and historical revelations, the book brings together a spectrum of stories about urine. The value of this 'waste product' is undeniable as it has proved vital as a fertiliser, in the textile industry, making bricks for war refugees in water scarce areas and so many other ways. It makes a good case for being of medical value. Then there are the historical stories: often quirky, generally thought provoking.

This book IS funny, but it's also interesting. I also dare to believe that it makes a point: our whingy aversion to is as an unclean substance has unfairly made urine a taboo, and we could nd should be using this terrific stuff better. In years gone by, a cart would trundle down the street and we would empty our bed pans to enable industries to proceed. Should those days return?
on 13 December 2013
The A - Zee of Pee... yes,Urine. Who would have believed it was so rich in substance and found recycled in so many ways and in so many places? Highly recommended if you're not one of those who is afraid of taboo...
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2012
The book is small enough to carry in a coat pocket. It has a hard cover and a jacket; the quality of the print is 1st class but I did find the size of the font a little bit too small for my liking. The author has not overdone the use of pee jokes via well hackneyed expressions; for my taste, no pun intended, she has struck the right note. I found myself smiling throughout the reading of the book and I must say that I was, no, am, amazed at how many different uses urine has been put to over the years. Seeing as it has such a strong history one wonders why we - Ok, I, then - tend to feel repulsed at the thought of actually drinking urine! I shan't be giving up my tea just yet, smile.
on 1 January 2013
I am not a reader of non-fiction but this book is wonderful. I found myself fascinated by the history of pee usage, the role it has played in clothing, skin care, health care and so much more. It is tongue-in-cheek but never tasteless! In its a-z format it is a book to dip in and out of, possibly to be kept in the most appropriate room while you do so. I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it as an interesting social history with a difference.
on 16 July 2011
I bought this book because was intrigued by the title and I must say that I'm glad I did as it is full of interesting information about the uses to which this substance has been put over the centuries.
It is incredibly well researched-although how the author managed to unearth so many facts about a bodily fluid that most of us would rather not think about I don't know. It is very well written, informative and, if you've got a sence of humour like mine, amusing. I can't help picturing families producing bucketfulls of the stuff, somehow passing ( or selling?) the precious fluid to a "broker" who collected it into huge containers, allowed it to "mature" and transported it to places where it could be used for industrial purposes such as the production of alum, or, even more bizarrely, using it themselve for washing their clothes and cleaning the floor!
A very interesting book which, despite it's quaint title, is well worth the money, alternatively, of course, if you don't want to pay for it, you could always ask your local library you could to get a copy for you!!
on 22 November 2013
this is the sort of stuff I find fascinating and great for just dipping into as well as a reference tool