on 2 June 2017
This is written by a fan of the band. Some people might not like how it's so positive but why would anyone be reading this if they're not a fan themselves? I really enjoyed it although I felt the Brian Johnson period was rather glossed over. Someone is missing a trick here, there's plenty of fans out there who'd like to read more about that second era of the band.
But overall this was a brilliant read, with some funny stories and good photos.
Highly recommended!
on 19 July 2013
This book bored me to death, i love the band but theres so much crap stuff in the book that we dont need to no.
on 14 August 2017
I have read a few rock biographies and this is undoubtedly the worst I have encountered so far. It is heavy going and manages to be sycophantic yet still portray the group in a very unattractive light. I saw AC/DC in 1978 and instantly became a fan but I think it is fair to say that it was really only for a few years either side of Bon’s untimely passing that their output was truly inspired. Much of the early stuff was actually pretty poor and the later albums all sounded the same, the inspiration had gone. Yet for this book everything they did was wonderful and every one who crossed them was an idiot. There is no real attempt to be truly objective in assessing the band members or the songs. I did learn a few things – I had never thought of AC/DC as a punk band for instance (to describe them as such is of course absurd but perhaps their antics early on encouraged such an interpretation). However on the whole the book is a fairly tedious relation of gigs, albums, encounters and fan reactions. There is little of the sort of contextual material you get in the best music biographies and the style of writing is somewhat juvenile. You might expect the less articulate musicians quoted to be unable to utter a sentence without at least one profanity but it eventually becomes tiresome and one does not really expect the authors to sink to that sort of moronic level in their own prose but that is what they do. Previously I had a fairly positive attitude to the band, knowing little about them other than what I read in Bon’s biography which I read some years ago but the image that emerges from this book is of a rather unpleasant and arrogant bunch (Brian perhaps excepted) whose only real interest is in themselves. I suspect that this is actually an unfair representation – even if it is not I am sure that both Malcolm and Angus are far more cultured and interesting people than this book suggests, indeed there are occasional hints that that is the case but they are not properly developed. I guess that the authors’ reliance on interviews with various people who happen to have crossed the path of the band over the years has contributed to the unsatisfactory overall result. I paid £1 for it in a clearance shop – I probably had my money’s worth but I really did not enjoy the read.
on 4 September 2014
Got all their albums but not a MEGA fan, i.e. not an absolute fanatic, but still interested in their story. Growing up one read paragraphs of news in "Sounds", NME, etc. and got the LPs when released. Not much more. This book fills in all the gaps of what happened, when and in-between whatever. Really good research has been done. Informative without a doubt. Not surprised they had management issues. (One of their gaffers seemingly used the "f" word every 3rd word. I know the band swore too, but there ARE limits! Hardly an intellectual in charge, I thought.) Not surprised album sales fluctuated. To me, Brian Johnson's voice was far too restrictive to have the variety present in Bon Scott's songs. Pace sped up really quickly toward the end. Not surprising I suppose. They started doing an album a year (and WERE hard-working, I agree), but ended up taking a couple of years to come up with 10 songs. (A bit lazy really, you must admit!) Still a great band though.
on 11 February 2007
There have been many books written about AC/DC over the years but none are a comprehensive as this. Older attempts have been poorly researched and compiled solely from old press articles. This is the real deal; and by far the best effort yet. Good photos, some interesting unknown facts and meticulous research makes this the best book yet on the subject.
on 14 February 2007
First of all, there's no denying the depth of research that has gone in to this book. I've been enjoying AC/DC's music for over twenty-five years and the authors have done a great job.

HOWEVER - compared to (say) Clinton Walker's book on Bon Scott, I believe this book suffers from a lack of speculation and imagination. It's very obviously been written with the official imprimatur of the Young Brothers and Albert productions - doesn't go in to details on Brian's divorces, for instance-- and although both of the writers know Australian Rock like their own families, you never really get that "being there" sense that the best rock biogs have. But if you want to know uncovered detail (e.g. Bon kipped over in Brian's hotel room in 1973; Bon hung out with the Stones in Paris in 1978) then this is the one for you. Most surprising to me is the extent to which Brian J -- Bon -- Young brothers knew each other. In a classic example of what I think is wrong with this book, though, the authors don't really do much with that connection. To my mind, it demonstrates the extent to which AC/DC really is a "clan" to this day, with trusted insiders and not much room for anyone else.
on 30 June 2010
I bought this book for a greater insight into AC/DC but especially the man, the myth, the legend that was Bon Scott.

And the book doesn't disappoint in that regard. The authors provide a unique perspective on how the early albums were constructed and I now look on them differently when playing them.

I wish there had been even greater discussion on the immediate aftermath of Bon's death and how the individual band members felt and coped.

The book is comprehensive although I felt it perhaps rushed over parts of the Brian Johnston era in comparison to the Bon era. That said, I would heartily recommend it to any AC/DC fan as an essential addition to their collection.
on 10 January 2017
For the die hard fan this the best, most accurate book out there. Believe me, I've read them all. This may be too detailed for a regular reader, but it has everything you need know, well written and honest.
on 28 February 2011
Couldnt put the book down, a very interesting and detailed read.
I wasnt sure how the book would pan out as it is not written by any of members of the band. However, the authors did spend 18 mths on the road with them and used 1st hand knowledge and information from reputable sources. The stories gave an unbiased insight to the Bon Scott era which was refreshing.
I would like to se a follow up book covering more personal events in the bands lives both past and present. A great read.A must have for any AC/DC fan.
on 10 July 2013
Description included 'All pages are intact and the cover is intact (including the dust cover, if applicable).', when in fact three pages were missing, which were photo pages, so disappointed.