Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 December 2010
This is a must for any die hard Star Wars fan. Fantastic quality and beautifully illustrated book. I gave it as a present so can't really comment much on the written content but I had a flick through and there are lots of great pictures, cast photos and illustrations, it looks fantastic and the person I gave it too really liked it.
on 2 November 2010
After the initial excitment and settled dust, This book is somewhat disappointing as a definitive guide to the Empire Strikes Back. For the casual fan it offers plenty of information and photographs, however for the hardcore fan, and really who else is this really aimed at, there is little on offer that we havn't seen or know about already. There are innacuracies with the research just to pour salt on the wound. A double page spread of a matte painting of the Falcon is alledgedly from Hoth, but any fan can tell you it's the background matte from the jedi hangar scene. The insert set photo of the Hoth falcon shown as a guide clearly doesn't match just to hammer home the mistake. A painting of the bounty hunters by Mcquarrie is said to be circa (1980) but again this is inaccurate as the painting was commissioned by West End games to promote their bounty hunter lead miniature set at the end of the decade. There are more instances througout of which I'm sure you'll discover. Okay, so this is geeky nitpicking, but that's what has kept this franchise afloat, millions of geeks willing to part loads of cash on a regular basis to support their addiction. Show some respect please.
There are a few nice photographs that haven't been seen before. Vader looking to the heavens as Luke is held aloft by gusts of wind, a snowtrooper costume mid-sculpt etc, but a lot of the useen images are tiny in favour of large images of things we've seen before. I'm sure I'm not alone in expecting a little more. Perhaps becasue it is now thirty years ago, the possibility of finding new unpublished photographs is limited, but the over reliance on familiar shots and innacuracies in the research smack of carelessness and cynicism for the loyal fan who will inevitably buy this book. Worth the £22 with free delivery on amazon but I wouldn't pay more.
on 9 November 2010
This was bought as a present for my husband, a life-long Star Wars fan, and he was really pleased. Can't really comment on it myself, as I only really glanced at the (many) photos!
on 7 November 2011
An excellent book detailing with thousands of pictures and original artworks on the film.I brought this book second hand for less than £10. The condition was described as good, but to be honest its as new. Anyway the thickness of the book must be 1.5" just to give you some idea of the amount of detail. This is without doubt the best bargain i have had with Amazon-buy it !!
on 7 January 2011
Well it came a day later then expected but worth it.just a quick browse through and its looks amazing.colour photo's through out and beautifully presented.the book is huge.about an 1" thick and nearly 12" square.i hope they do the same thing for Jedi.i'm gonna be looking for a book that do's the same justice to star wars.if you like Empire you need to own this book.
on 30 November 2010
A few months back, I recieved the preview of this book through Empire magazine - and loved it.
But I still couldn't make my mind up if I should buy the book.

Yesterday, Irvin Kershner the director of The Empire Strikes Back died aged 87.

Between the awesomeness of Kersh, Yoda, Vader, Boba Fett and Billy D. Calrisian, I HAD to buy this book :)
on 9 April 2015
Some really good insights into my favourite film, but some parts needed more explanation (how matte drawings work). Sometimes too much detail. Bit over indulgent.
on 16 April 2014
I wasn't sure about how this would work on the ipad but I was not disappointed. A must for any Star Wars OT fan. Interviews and videos. Well worth it
on 1 March 2013
A masterpiece to understand the process of making the empire strikes back, and the famous backstory of Skywalker father and son. Buy it, you must!
on 8 February 2013
Loved it, everything I expected and more, therefore the 5 stars.
I would recommend this to every one I know, great quality and fast delivery.