on 19 July 2017
Not at all for me, it was repetitive to the point of rambling.
I understand in the time this was set, diction, pronunciation etc. was different from modern day but it was uncomfortable to read.
The sexism, social class distinction which yes of course existed made it all the more difficult to read, that should not be glorified, it felt to me that the author enjoyed quoting some of these examples. The work done at Bletchley Park was fabulous, the people who worked there were clever, admirable and they of course are and should be applauded but this book did nothing to endear me, enlighten me or instil admiration I only plodded through it as it was for a book club.
on 27 November 2017
This is essentially a collection of anecdotes strung together with some unremarkable research. The historic subject matter and the importance of its place in our recent history is unquestionable. However, I found this disappointingly tedious and extremely repetitive going over the same ground time and again just from slightly different angles. I hoped for a more professionally constructed book. if you do buy it be prepared for very small print.
on 6 April 2017
This was my first book on Bletchley Park. Very informative and an excellent portrayal of the hidden life of one of the important, if not the most important contributions to victory in WWII. The book makes the Bletchley intellectual youngsters so believable! I hope to go into more books by Sinclair McKay.
on 10 December 2017
Ok but not what I had expected.
on 14 August 2017
good background material
on 10 November 2017
A good read that gives the down-to-earth inside story both of what the team accomplished, despite many hardships and deprivations, and the personal relationships within the community.
on 20 July 2017
brill history book
on 23 August 2017
Excellent - different perspective on the BP story.
on 17 October 2015
Have visited Bletchley Park and this filled in some of the gaps. great
on 30 October 2017