on 1 March 2010
This little book is full of useful information, as relevant today, as when it was written. In today's economic climate, we all want to eat cheaply and healthily, so Mr Middleton is the perfect mentor for gardeners and allotment holders. Of course, some of the weed and pest control advice is outdated but modern eco-products are readily available so this is no problem. I keep it at my bedside so I can see what work needs to be done week by week - I suggest you do the same!
on 8 October 2012
I have an allotment and am keen to learn about the old ways things were done. Especially as the real allotment drive began during the wars "dig for victory" campaign. This book is full of old, but still useful tips and ideas. Great for anyone interested in history.
on 17 April 2010
I pretty much like any book about allotments and vegetable gardening so I would bound to like this book, but even without this bias I reckon it is a really good read. First, this book is interesting because of the timeperiod it is covering. The choice of veg to grow, the use of sprays and toxins and many things which are quite illegal today. Second, it some ways it's really nice to hear that the problems we suffer today with pests and diseaase is pretty much unchanged in the last 60 years. Third, it is a really well laid out format for a beginner to let you know what you should be doing in your veg patch every week of the year! As a reference book, it beats most on the shelves todays.
on 23 August 2010
I bought this book believing that it was written by Mr Middleton on starting to read
it however I found that Mr Middleton had only contributed to the book and most of the writing was done by someone else.
that doesn't of course change the historical significance of the book published originally as WW11 was winding down in Europe but rationing was expected(and did) to continue. Producing as much food as possible was essential, it was expected that dig for Victory would continue as it happened the government changed and dig for victory was abandoned.
the planting regimes remain usable and many of the cultivars will be available from heritage seed banks and some are still on Nursery catalogues
A good book but not brilliant
on 15 May 2010
Bought this for my wife (she is a trained chef, as is my son) and she was delighted. She says that the book is excellent and will be very useful. She hopes to make us more healthy with the excellent growing tips and recipes!
on 5 December 2009
I am writing a family history and came across photos of relatives 'digging for victory' in WW2. Spotted this book and proved such an interesting addition to the pictures.
on 4 June 2014
i never knew the Mr MIddletons books where printed having know brouth 3 books i enjoy reading them thay remind me of when iwas a child growing up watching my grandfarther in the garden
on 23 April 2012
Very interesting book. Most methods in use today, apart from using some of the chemicals listed. Very nostalgic. Enjoyed reading it and found it will help with this years gardening.
Great book is wonderful as new condition. Packed with lots of practical advice for growing vegetables which is just as relevant today as it was then.
on 20 March 2014
Reprint of the original, excellent condition too. The more Middleton I read the more I like him. This book is right up my street!