on 6 August 2017
I'm biased because I'm a bit of a Dr Who fan, so I enjoyed this.
Liz's recollections of her early stage career offer an insight to a world that feels lost somehow.
As one of the most popular actresses to have been on Who and indeed a personal favourite I think one of her strengths as she travelled across the universe is that she took you with her. Grounded whilst still conveying a sense of awe.
A good book. Enjoy.
on 2 December 2011
I enjoyed this book I always admired Elisabeth Sladen as an actress and was very sad when she died.What I like about this autobiography is that its not a "lovies" view of the acting world its a lot more truthful and upfront than I expected.I like the fact she doesn't sugarcoat things.She certainly had a more varied career than I realised of course I watched her in Dr Who way back and I loved the Sarah Jane adventures even though I'm hardly in the right age group but there was a lot more to her than just that.I like the honesty in this book and it makes me sad that she is no longer here.I think this is a must read for her fans and I'm glad to say I'm one.
on 17 June 2017
A lovely read about a fabulous woman. Very good autobiography and fantastic reading about all things Doctor Who. If you love old or new Doctor Who you should read this book.
on 6 March 2017
Bought for my dad who is a Dr who fan... Thought it was good
on 17 January 2015
The life and career of Liz sladen completed just before her sudden death and read by Dr Who actress Caroline John( who has since passed away).
With a forward by David tennant and a afterword from her husband and daughter.
This is well worth the purchase for any fun of her work
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Elisabeth Sladen, along with Katy Manning and Louise Jameson, are my companions from Doctor Who. They come from that glorious 70's era when all winters seemed dark and Doctor Who was the best show on TV.

I've been waiting for this book for a very long time and having met Elisabeth and found her to be delightful I was interested to read her life story. I bought the printed version of this book and could really hear Elisabeth's voice in my head and the lack of that 'voice' is the main problem with this audio version.

As the world knows, Elisabeth sadly passed away early last year, the shock to the world of Doctor Who was immense and this book has taken on the appearance of a posthumous farewell.

This audio version is narrated by another of the Doctor's companions, Caroline John, and she does a great job of it, unfortunately she reads the book in the form of the first person and it seems strange to have a different woman reading the book as though it were Elisabeth relating the events herself. This did have the effect of taking me out of what I was listening to at times and I feel it would have been better if they had changed the dialogue or text to the the third person. It's only a minor point but it does jar a little, I expect Elisabeth would have done it herself had she still been with us.

There is a foreword by David Tennant who goes on to relate his joy at working with her on Doctor Who and how she inspired him and put him at ease on his first day, and an epilogue by her husband Brian Miller, co written by their daughter Sadie, and is lovely. In fact I would have preferred the entire book to have been narrated by her husband, he is an actor after all and I think it would have given it that more personal touch and brought us closer to Elisabeth than, perhaps, the Caroline John narration does.

All in all though it's a very very good audio book of a superb autobiography, but if the truth be told, I do prefer the written printed version, but both versions stand as a wonderful lasting memoir of a lady who gave pleasure to millions of children and adults who are children at heart for so long.
on 30 May 2015
v good
on 2 April 2017
This is such a wonderful book and why I love reading autobiography, you learn a lot more about the person then you have from their public image. Elisabeth Sladen had a brilliant career on stage that shows how much a range and talent she was as an actor. She played leading roles in classic as well modern plays and worked her way to the top of stage acting. I was also good to learn about her background .I always though she had come from Liverpool but her family had lived in Devon for many generations and were never far from the saw dust of the stage. A real joy to read learn and more about a much loved actor who sadly died from cancer..
on 12 November 2014
A good read, very enjoyable, but obviously the ending is very sad.
on 15 November 2011
I'm pleased to say that this is a great read. To be honest, if I hadn't enjoyed it, then I probably wouldn't have bothered with a review. I would have felt bad writing a negative one but fortunately I don't have to consider that.
Like all good autobiographies, it's got a good conversational style which the afterword by her family comfirms very much has her turn of phrase etc to it. It's the kind of book best enjoyed on train & bus journeys to & from work, when you can pretend your having a chat with her.
Dr Who is covered in some detail but that doesn't mean the rest is not interesting.

The early portion on her family history suggests enough material existed for a good "Who do you think you are. & similarly the period on her early life (find how she came to vommit on Edwina Currie)& a fascinating and varied stage career will easily prevent you skipping onto the Who section. She clearly loved acting and mixing with people such as actor Robert Morley & playwright Alan Ayckbourn but that's not to say it's a luvvie's bore of a book. Where there were famous names she had problems with she explains why she thought badly of them and in hindsight whether she was right.

Naturally the Who section is of prime interest & even though there will be anecdotes & stories heard before in interviews, commentaries & so on, she still does the fans proud. We learn who were the directors who were difficult to work with were ( some names there will surprise you) and best of all what it was like to work with Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker & more recently David Tennant.

She found Pertwee initially difficult to work with because their styles & approaches clashed but does acknowledge that some of his apparently insensitive acts were just the opposite e.g. he thought it was supportive to watch her film her 1st scene & to introduce her to fans who had at that point no idea who she was. He had no idea that it made her feel more daunted. The 2 worked better toward the end of his time and later became good friends.

She clearly hit it off and gelled with Tom Baker from the off & found he was happy to listen to her, was full of mad ideas himself & quick to champion her suggestions. She jokes that she didn't want to watch him with other companions likening it to seeing your husband with another woman.

There are in this section and (in the rest of the book but I noticed them here most) some great insights. She believes when he had resigned because the Beeb refused to give him a raise (this has been questioned more recently but she seem certain it's true) Jon Pertwee regretted his decision. He didn't really want to leave the show but it had only hit him once it was too late to stop. She believes this and a form of jealousy over Tom's apparently greater success & longer tenure in the role, coloured the bad relationship between the 2.

Her account of the making of the 5 Doctors is similarly interesting e.g. all Doctors going off with their own cliques at breaks.

She recalls her initial reluctance to return to Sarah Jane Smith, the false start with K9 and Company all leading to a triumphant return in "School Reunion" and then her own show "The Sarah Jane Adventures." She speaks about the role attending conventions with Jon Pertwee played i bringing her back to Who & her affection for her fans shines through.

Acting jobs between Who are covered well too as is her decision to retire from acting(fortunately temporarily).

There's plenty of humour e.g. she jokes that Yasmin Page who left Sarah Jane Adventures early on to avoid typecasting will probably manage her career better than she did & compares acting opposite Alpha Centauri to playing Shakespeare with a tellytubby! She's also very amused most papers etc. knocked 2 years of her date of birth.

Whatever work her family and co-author Jeff Hudson did to get the book ready for publication, I commend them because it does not read as rushed or unfinished.

There's an introduction from David Tennant and some material form her husband & daughter.

A fine tribute to Elisabeth Sladen which I recommend to anyone who enjoyed her work.
1010 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse