on 21 April 2016
Very funny and well written. I found myself laughing at my own recognition of myself on a golf course. Very good!
on 18 September 2012
I have described this as the golfing equivalent of "Fever Pitch" - it's a pleasant divertissement from other golf books, while at the same time revealing many un-appreciated truths of the game - not least the golf industry's overriding ambition that we should all buy more and that it is not really interested in whether we improve or not! The book is also genuinely funny, as well as heartfelt - and will be enjoyed by anyone with the remotest interest in the game. It has been enjoyed a lot by friends who are not even keen on sport, let alone play golf themselves. I heartily recommend it to anyone.
on 16 June 2014
I'm not a fan of giving spiteful reviews but really this book is for a very different type of golf reader than me. So please take this very much as my opinion and clearly it's in isolation to the other positive reviews.

It attempts to be funny in a way that I'm afraid just isn't, which really grates after a while. And it's written in a fashion that reminds me of a high mark GCSE essay. Lots of unnecessary addition of faintly clever similes that make you scream "get on with it". But the actual getting on with it and discovery of the "secret" just leaves you feeling "eh, is that it?".

So, not for me, I'm afraid. Two stars only because I hate being a "one star" reviewer.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2009
As a fellow aspiring golfer, I was a slightly disappointed with a previous book that followed the trials and tribulations of achieving a major reduction in golf h/c - The Old Man and the Tee by Turk Pipkin. However I enjoyed Tony Lawrence's book, particularly as he followed the teachings of The Swing Factory book, and described visiting their famous Knightsbridge basement. He also described a meeting with Viv Saunders, whose books I have always admired, and also touched upon some interesting "mind teaching". Some of the interest for me was in observing some paths that we have shared. So I enjoyed the book, and read it very quickly, as one does get caught up in seeing how he fares. But I don't think I would re-read it, as it is not (and I guess doesn't set out to be) a motivational or best instruction tips type of book.
on 13 November 2009
I too have to declare an interest by not only knowing the author but featuring in the book as an example of how not to do it, but this doesn't disqualify me from recommending it highly.
I thought it was superbly written, funny, honest and insightful. I loved the expose of the industry and all the tricks they use to part the hacker with his money and, no doubt along with most other readers, identified with the frustrations and brief moments of joy that the game brings.
Was also delighted to see that after listening to all that advice, playing all those rounds and all those practice swings, he finally came round to the idea that giving it a whack and having a laugh remains the essence of the game for the occasional golfer.
This would make (and will for me) a great Christmas present.
on 17 August 2009
I wasn't sure what to expect... but ended up thoroughly enjoying this book, which cracked along at a good pace. Despite the fact that (unsurprisingly) I knew the ending, I found the path to it informative and entertaining. Yes, some poetic licence was taken, but why not?

Have given the book as a gift to a number of friends (not necessarily golfers!), all of whom have throuroughly enjoyed it.
on 13 October 2010
Tony Lawrence has captured the pain many of us have, and are going through to improve at golf. A very good read
on 16 July 2009
Enjoyable book which can be read quickly with some good observations on golf, sport and life. Missed opportunities to expand on family and young child anecdotes, but will hit sweet spot with golfing hopefuls who enjoy a laugh at themselves and others.
on 2 February 2011
Great stocking fillers for your hubby if he's into that sort of thing. Not a book I would read!
on 14 August 2009
Great book. Really enjoyed it. Fun insights about the things we love, hate and don't understand about golf. Great gift for anyone who likes golf - this is what all of my mates are getting for birthdays this year!