Customer reviews

on 19 September 2009
My title says it all really - Classic Cornish!

Those familiar with his work (especially those of us who try to who emulate it!) will have a good idea what to expect here - all round excellence in landscape photography.

I should say that I don't think the inclusion of black and white photographs adds anything to this book, but they are few and don't detract. (I don't find Ansel Adam's colour photography as inspiring as his mono work and the opposite is true for Joe Cornish - he is definitely a colour photographer first in my eyes.) Having said that, and despite of the use of Velvia/Provia, the use of colour is so sparing and subtle in some of the photo's, they have a mono quality of their own. (Check out `Allt Coire Mhic Fhearchair' (page103) and `Lochan Na Stainge' (page38) and you'll see what I mean -stunning!)

All photo's are in the 5x4 format, which is fine, but previously Cornish has used 6x12 and a few frames in that format would have been welcome here.

So while I do have criticisms, I do regard this as an excellent book - a must for all landscapers and anyone who likes stunning scenery.

p.s. I have seen some of these photo's in huge prints at a gallery in London. If you get the chance to see any of his work this way you should ! This book, fantastic as it is, can never do his work full justice.

p.p.s. Don't miss Joe's other books, which I recommend in the following order : 1st : First Light: A Landscape Photographer's Art 2nd : Scotland's Coast: A Photographer's Journey 3rd :The Northumberland Coast
on 12 March 2013
The photos were fine. However, it would appear that most of them were taken in fall and or winter. Most were of the tops and the rocks. I would have liked to have seen more green in Spring, and more of mountains from the perspective of the valleys.
on 15 September 2009
If you have read and admired and been inspired by other books by Joe Cornish, this book will not disappoint you on any level. His writing engages you, for example in "As the afterglow became night I reached the bothy, utterly exhausted, with few photographs made in spite of my labours." But he was still driven to make a wonderful picture by the light from a tea-light candle! The pictures are presented as a series of portfolios. The pictures - in both colour and b&w show a masterly use of light and lack of light; inspired composition which shuns the rule of thirds. This is the work of an artist on top of his game. If you aspire to be a landscape photographer or simply enjoy looking at outstanding photographs, this is simply an unmissable book.
on 28 December 2009
The book was a Christmas present to me, though I bought the book myself on behalf of my mother-in-law, who "gave" it to me for Christmas 2009. First impressions are of a solid, beautifully bound and well laid out book.

So, on Christmas morning I decided to just flick through a few of the images quickly before settling down for a more serious study later. I soon found that I couldn't put the book down and was continually flicking between the images themselves and the related photographic details, which are printed towards the end of the book.

As a mountaineer and landscape photographer myself I know from first hand that just getting to some of the locations the author has selected can be "fun", and getting there in decent enough weather to take such stunning pictures requires a degree of dedication and commitment way beyond that of the average mountaineer or hill walker out on a days Munro bagging.

It perhaps goes without saying that like other work by Joe Cornish, all the main images are quite superb but I also particularly like the smaller monochrome images that support some of the author's comments too.

I also like the author's reference to the work of Colin Prior, a contemporary of the authors, whose panoramic studies of the Scottish Mountains, in both his books and wide format calendars, are also quite superb. I suppose that the author added this comment as his work will always be compared to that of Colin Prior. I now have all of the books produced by both these photographers and placing one higher than the other in terms of the quality of their respective work is certainly meaningless and quite impossible.

All in all a fine book from a gifted photographer, worthy of pride of place on anyone's book shelf.
on 8 June 2013
This is an amazing book choca with beautiful images from Mr Cornish's typically first class photographic expertise. Mr Cornish is one of the very best landscape photographers in the UK if not the world at this moment.

Please Please keep up the good work. Must be extremely difficult obtaining images of this caliber though with heavy equipment (by my standards) and all night wild camping.

Fabulous stuff.
on 26 October 2009
Joe Cornish is widely, and justifiably, regarded as the best landscape photographer in the UK. First Light, Joe's first book, was a collection of stunning images that had huge instant impact and motivated a cavalcade of photographers to seek out the locations therein. With Scotland's Mountains, Joe may have thwarted all but the most committed photographers by travelling long distances with 40lbs of large format photographic equipment. However, although some pictures within this book are instantly rewarding, the majority have a beauty that is rewarded through repeated viewings. I find myself returning to this book again and again, finding more in each picture on every visit. This is why I regard Scotland's Mountains as Joe's greatest work to date, and by logical conclusion, the most rewarding British landscape photography book. Buy it and keep it near.
on 30 June 2013
Bought as agift for my climbing enthusist son. The photos are superb. The text well written. I would have likesd a few more maps
on 24 August 2012
Excellent stuff!! I bought this for my brother who had climbed many of the mountains featured - he was most impressed
on 31 December 2009
This is not just another book of photographs of Scottish landscapes. Joe Cornish can be expected to deliver the goods when it comes to quality of image however this book takes a broad view of Scottish mountain landscapes and covers details as well as wide views. The result is that for me it is the best photographic book on the subject that I have come across. The way it has been presented makes it just as suitable for the casual visitor (if there is such a beastie to be found) as for the photographer who is looking for either a good read or some inspiration. The author's best book yet and one that will be hard to beat by any other photographer.
on 3 December 2009
This book is the perfect coffee table book to browse through. The photographs are taken by an absolute master in creating the perfect landscape. You could almost smell the peat.
A wonderful masterpiece in photography.