on 10 November 2007
From a very young age I have been drawn into his music and life. This book has everything from pre earwigs to alice in 2003. It also has 12 chapters on how and why alice took up golf and gave up drinking, this is "the twelve steps to be a golf addict". At the end theres about 5 pages of alice golf tips, also through out the book theres numerous pictures of live shows and photo shoots. One of the live show pics has alice performing nobody likes me live in 1969.

Recommended to anyone who is a alice fan.
on 29 August 2009
An EXCELLENT dip into book! Produced in a way that anyone with a few minutes to spare can easily soak up a bit of the Coops extraordinary life. Cheerful, funny and insightful not just for golf tips - which are good. It's more like using golf in the Coop's instance as a way to combat your demons - a happy and for once productive addiction. An inspiration for us all to find our own positive addiction.
on 12 September 2013
I've loved Alice Cooper since I was about 11, it was his music that started me onto what has become a great love of rock and heavy metal.

I'm not a golf fan at all however from reading previous reviews, I knew there would be enough about Alice's actual life to keep me entertained and I was right. Although some of the golf speak did go over my head, I still enjoyed his tales on the course.

Yes, there's much name dropping but to he honest, if I had met everyone Alice had I'd be name dropping as well - some of the folk he's been lucky to meet, and some, call good friends, are real legends themselves.

If you love golf and you love Alice then this book will be a dream come true. I would have loved more stories about his life on the road and behind the scenes - and less golf ;-) but it would be silly of me to expect that of course. An actual proper autobiography would be amazing but I doubt that will ever happen so this is the closest you can get.

I totally agree with what Alice says about music today. I could name a handful of "modern" bands (i.e from the 2000's, and that goes for even those of the heavy metal and rock genre and not just pop) that will have a career even a fraction as long as the likes of Alice.

"As a culture, we've gone from musical gourmet to fast food".
on 28 April 2015
Excellent convo with the weird and wonderful Mr Cooper. Shock rocker, alcoholic, golfaholic and born again Christian: he definitely goes against the grain. I've always liked Alice and this book does nothing to change my mind on him. A true gentleman and great ambassador for the world of rock n' roll.
on 30 December 2007
Firstly, this is a book to be enjoyed by all. Cooper devotees, Rock fans or just the plain curious. It is if nothing else a stonking good read.
It marks a departure(thankfully)from current trends of listing countless tales of debauchery and shenanigan's. But it does however unashamedly go on a three hundred page name dropping spree. Jimi Hendrix,John Lennon,Groucho Marx & Raquel Welch are just some of the many that have featured heavily in the Coop's colourful career. Putting this along with the twelve vignettes of his thoughts on all things Golf, makes it a different if somewhat surreal Rock autobiography. Well you would expect nothing less from Alice Cooper!
on 7 May 2013
I'm not a golf fan. Had I been this book may have got 5 stars - I didn't need the advice at the end of the book about golf.

As an insight into the weird and tumultuous life of Alice Cooper, Rock Legend, its good. Especially since Alice pull no punches in describing his life both on and off stage. For me it was the nuggets about other great performers that he came across - through music or through golf that brought life to the story. These nuggets were not a list of great people he'd known but each was set in a cameo. He and his wife dining with their great friend of Peter Sellars; Groucho calling him up at night, Sinatra saying he was OK.

I think that golf keeps him honest: he's not as good as the champions he admires and takes that lesson into his writing about himself. Too many rock stars' autobiographies are hagiographies. They sell and buy their own self-image: Alice doesn't. Read it and judge for yourself.
on 23 August 2013
I Never read biographies (auto or otherwise), but a buddy at my local golf club recommended this book to me.
I really enjoyed it on holiday and felt it had enough golf content to interest anyone who plays Golf, but still with the majority of the book devoted to Alice's rise and fall then eventual rise again.
I'd definitely recommend it.
on 24 July 2013
One of the most influential, legendary and intelligent characters in the business tells us how it's done. Full of name-dropping as he seems to have known everyone; being friends with Groucho Marx, how he tried to save Elvis etc etc etc. It gives us an insight into something that will never happen again - can you imagine today's manufactured trite doing the same?
on 1 January 2008
Is this an opportunity for Cooper to talk about his golf, or is this an auto-biography? For someone with obvious intelligence, I cannot see why this work required not one, but two ghost writers. As an autobiography it is absolutely shallow, we learn nothing that hasn't been disclosed in previous works. Was the book authorised on the premise that it was to be peppered with golf material?
Cooper's on book on his own life should have been MUCH MUCH better than this.
on 17 May 2013
After reading the sample I decided it was worth a try. It is entertaining and a very easy read. You don't have to like the music to enjoy the book. It is not my usual reading material but a pleasant change. The purchase was fast and easy.